Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't lose this weght!!

Angry Can't lose this weght!!

I'm fifteen pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight, and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of it! I have been tracking my calories on myfitnesspal (accounting for extra for BF), and working out (spinning, weight training classes, walks with the babe, yoga) 3-4 days a week. I am no stranger to trying to lose weight, and I know what it takes for my body to get there, but I just can't seem to do it since the little guy arrived. Any advice? Or am I doomed to hang on to these last 15lbs until we wean? My mom raved about how the weight just melted off when she breastfed my siblings and I, and I was so looking forward to that added benefit!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: Can't lose this weght!!

I heard recently of a mom who didn't lose the last of her baby weight closer to when he was 9 months. He wasn't that interested in solids, and continued to get a lot of his calories from nursing for the first year. I'm still 10# from my pre-pregnancy weight, if that makes ya feel better, and I've been working out as well. I've started to add coconut oil into my diet, more for the energy boost, and overall health benefits, but I've read in various places that coconut oil boosts your metabolism as well. Well, so far, I have noticed a big difference in my energy level, and while the numbers on the scale aren't budging, my pants are fitting better! I started with about a teaspoon a day melted into a glass of warm water (that I chug...yes, it's pretty much just as disgusting as it sounds!), and I'm working up to 4 tablespoons eventually. I know this may sound pretty unconventional, but fat like coconut oil is actually good for you! I've only read parts of the book, but the book, Eat Fat Lose Fat explains more of the science behind it. Here's an article (of many out there) if you're interested in reading more: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...n-my-diet.html

I was in your same boat until around 8-9 months. I had also gained almost 55 lbs during pregnancy. Despite exclusively BFing, the weight just sat there.... Until a few months ago. My baby ate no solids until about a week ago, so for me I think it was the fact that my body had to produce ALL of the calories to feed a 20 lb human being. I was constantly thirsty and hungry with my body's attempt to feed me and my child. I ate, ate, ate so much during this time (like 5-6 solid meals plus dessert a day). This just melted all the pounds away. I did not exercise during this time. Now at 1 year, I am VERY happy to be at 2 lbs lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight and fitting into my college clothes. If it were not for BF, I would probably be about 40 lbs heavier for life.
    So my advice is to keep at it, don't force the solids. I'll be cheering for you!
    Last edited by @llli*greatestjoy; January 25th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    DS born 2/11: EBF for 11 months, BF for 4 years
    DD born 11/14: came to the hospital crowning, had her the old fashioned way, EBF for almost 3 months and counting
    Looking to adopt a toddler internationally in the next year or so...

I agree with PPs. My baby is just now 8 months (today), and I'm just starting to see the weight fall more. At first, it seemed to melt off, but I'd gained 60+ pounds -- you should see the pictures of my stomach. Everyone was certain I was having twins. Regardless, I'm currently 3 lbs from pre-preg and around 20 away from my absolute goal. But, things are fitting better, and I feel better.

I'm not doing anything crazy. I run 3x a week. I eat with a conscience (although I AM known to put away a dozen cookies in one sitting if given the opportunity). I'm nursing still 4 or more times a day (and night). DS does eat solids, but not tons. I'm chasing him around the house. On days that it's nice, we might do a mile or so walk with the stroller.

I know it's frustrating. Try to set some smaller goals. Is it possible that you aren't getting ENOUGH food? I've read that sometimes, not eating enough can cause our bodies to do goofy things and hold on to the weight. Also, how are your clothes fitting? And with all that awesome cardio you're doing, could your body just be gaining muscle?

Just remember, the recommended weight loss is 1 lb a week. Good luck!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Flash 4/24/13 . . . BF 14 months
    Baby Diva 4/28/15....currently still BF
    Married to the man of my dreams.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

My sister lost all her pregnancy weight in about 4-5 months. It took me eight. We are about the same build and gained almost the exact same amount and started out at very similar weights. Its just different for everyone! I tried exercising at the 4-5 month mark and it didn't really do much. The weight just eventually went away.

Now at 9 months I am actually 3 lbs under pre preg weight o.O
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Thanks ladies, you're all making me feel better! Hopefully in a few months I'll start to see some real results. I'll have to try the coconut oil idea, kjohanna.

Richmama- My clothes unfortunately, barely fit! That's what I'm more focused on, rather than the scale. I'm definitely chubbier everywhere, but mostly it's just my belly. I can hardly button my pants, and I just look forward to sweats as soon as I'm home for the day! I gained about 40lbs, but my belly was HUGE! I've got the stretch marks to prove it. I dropped 27lbs no sweat in the first two weeks, but since then I'm stuck. I don't think I'm eating too little, as I eat when I'm hungry (usually about 1700 cals a day).

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and hang in there! One day at a time.
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Oh yeah, I am still quite lumpy at 6 months PP. I, apparently, am also not one of those "The weight just melts right off!" person.

I'm right there w/ you! I gained 15 pounds during my pregnancy, lost about 10 right after my son was born, and now it has seemed to creep back on. Now I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I couldn't believe I was gaining weight bf!!! I'm making more of an effort to be more conscious of what I'm eating (maybe I was letting my appetite getting the best of me?). And my husband is finally home, and we're moving closing to family, so I'll have more time to exercise. It's been 6 months, so I feel like I should stop telling myself "it's ok, I just had a baby". So....you're not alone! Hopefully you'll start to see and feel things changing soon I'll be thinking of you!
    Mommy to Bradley, 8/2011, the love of my life

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad to hear this! L turned 5 months today (how the heck did that happen?!) and I'm still 15 lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight, which was 200 lbs. I need to be some where at 140 lbs to be at a healthy weight and it's killing me to not lose anything. I've decided to stop counting calories and just stay away from processed foods and junk. Now that I've done that, I feel like this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders! I figure if I focus on healthy eating now, it'll just make things that much easier in the long run. My family doctor who is very pro-breast feeding, told me that EBF Mamas should treat their bodies as if they are still pregnant for the first 6 months. He told me he had seen women mess up their supply just from stressing over the weight. He told me to remember that my body went through a pretty traumatic event and now it's producing food for another human. It makes sense after you think about it.

I'm going to have to check out that coconut oil thing. Sounds very interesting!

Hang in there! We'll get there soon!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

I'm doing the same things you are and at 5 months I still have 8 lb to go. I gained 35 lbs and was 5'6" 128 pp. hopefully it will come off soon for both of us. A friend of mine had this problem and it was bc she had a thyroid issue. I know mine is fine but if yours hasn't been tested lately you could look into that. She went on meds for it and then the weight came off too.