Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at breast

Default Fussy at breast

My baby girl is 9 weeks old now and for the last couple of weeks she gets really fussy at the breast. It seems to be after my letdown slows and is having to work for the milk. It is worse if she is tired. When she starts, she often pulls her head back and stretches my nipple. So also slings her upper arm as if she were a bull rider lol. It is starting to make for sore nipples. Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Fussy at breast

Welcome! Does this pesky nursing behavior happen at any particular time of day? Maybe towards evening?

It's pretty common for babies to suddenly get fussy when nursing, particularly after mom has been nursing a while and her supply is suddenly well-matched to baby's needs, instead of exceeding it. Babies are smart little things, and don't like to work for their meals. So often when the milk flow is slower that they are used to, they start to kick up a fuss about it, and pull off the breast or stretch the nipple. Sometimes that will stimulate another letdown, and baby thinks "Success!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is almost 10 weeks and has been doing the same thing...someone suggested to me that my body has regulated to what the baby needs and he has just learned to empty the breast quicker. This might be the same thing with you....it only takes him about 5-10 minutes per breast now (which is so much nicer than 30 minutes per breast).

Does your LO nurse well at all or is fussy from the get go?

She does tend to be worse about it in the evening. She nurses well for about the first 10 min then starts fussing. From pumping, I can tell that it is about the same time my milk flow starts to slow. I also co sleep to nurse during the night. Most nights are fine but she does fuss then too occasionally....except then she use my legs to jump from. Do you have any suggestions to keep her from pulling at my nipple or is it something that will pass eventually?

It should pass eventually. If the flow is slower towards evening, and that's responsible for the fussiness, just keep switching the baby back and forth between breasts. It's great for supply, and the milk flow may be swifter. Fussiness isn't always about milk, so here are some other things to try:
    - warm bath
    - trip outside
    - motion (rock in a rocker, swing, stroller ride)
    - white noise
    - calm (keep lights low, turn off tv, stereo, etc.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"