Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping, getting engorged

Default Baby sleeping, getting engorged

So I am getting really engorged (already dealing with oversupply and oald) as DD is sleeping a lot through the day. I try to wake her by changing her/talking to her/tickling her feet, etc. but she just keeps sleeping. I guess I have a few questions- tips on how to wake her for feeding? Also, how much sleep is really normal for newborns? She is 1 week old. I feel like she is asleep a lot during the day and awake a lot at night. Any way to switch this? I am kind of freaking out about her sleeping "too much". Pretty silly, I know. I guess I just don't like not having a routine again.

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green

Default Re: Baby sleeping, getting engorged

As long as her weight gain is good, there's no right amount of sleep.
    Your body will adjust to your baby's needs with time and you won't get engorged, same with sleep, she will switch her sleeping pattern with time but I would let her know that daytime is for staying awake more than asleep by letting her nap wherever you are or where the action is, leaving drapes and blinds open, may be some music if you are alone in the house so there's noise around.
    She is still very new, you'll get a routine very soon
    Last edited by @llli*lasbi.modeu; February 2nd, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Pretty much, it took making DD uncomfy to keep her awake enough. She was routinely stripped down to a diaper. I seem to recall we took it off once or twice too. DH or I would squish (not pinch) her toes and feet. In the first few days, we even resorted to DH pressing a wet wash cloth in spots on her back (not enough to chill her but enough to get a response). If it seems a little mean, we had to do something to get DD awake and eating. She ended up loosing way more than a normal amount of weight in her first few days (DD was extra sleepy for the first week or so, as she was still clearing her system of the heavy duty painkillers I took in the 24hrs after the c-section).
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

This was my exact same first post a week ago! I strip my baby girl down to her undershirt for feeding. She still dozes off after about 15-20 minutes. That's when I change her diaper, which wakes her up again. Then I switch breasts. It can take 45 minutes or more for her to get in a full feeding.

Have you tried dream feeding if you can't wake her? I've resorted to this a few time with my one week old if nothing else wakes her. I leave her in just a diaper and offer my breast, often with a little milk on it already, and she'll take it from there.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

with previous post. Babies can and will nurse in their sleep. Keep baby on you as much as possible and give her easy access. Look for the signs baby is going into a lighter sleep and may nurse (eyes moving under lids is an early one, making sucking motions in sleep, or even just face or lip twitches.) If latching in sleep is difficult for baby, try a more laid back or leaning back position with baby on top of you.

It is not silly at all to be concerned baby is sleeping to much. Some babies DO sleep 'too much' particularly in the first two weeks, and it may effect their weight gain and/or mom's milk production. At this age you generally want baby to be nursing AT LEAST 12 times in a 24 hour day, and you want to see appropriate output. Yes, lots of that nursing will be at night. It will start to switch naturally, after baby starts nursing more duing the day, but this is very individual it may take quite a few weeks before you get any kind of long stretch of sleep at night (4 hours or so) That is OK and normal, newborns don't know from night and day. Routines will come.

Good article on what to expect in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

Waking a sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf