Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Deficiencies in Mama

Default Nutritional Deficiencies in Mama

Hi All,

My LO is now 1 yr and my hair is on the thin side. My skin is just also really dull. I am sure I have a deficiency somewhere. Any advice on the most likely cause and my next steps?

I am terrified to go to the dr as I am afraid they will tell me to stop BFing.

I was also having a lot of bruising but I stepping up my vitamins and ensured I took a prenatal, b vitamin, fish oils and calcium and now it seems to be OK. What else do I need to add? Should I add an iron pill?

I try to eat well, but sometimes get really busy. Also where I live food is not the most nutrient rich as it is all shipped in from overseas.

Advice is greatly appreciated
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Default Re: Nutritional Deficiencies in Mama

Sounds like not enough fat to me too. I would check out your local LLL to ask the women there what drs they see that are breastfeeding friendly. That being said just cause a dr tells you to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. I would go to the dr and see what they say, if they say to stop nursing and don't do work ups (blood work etc) to see what is really wrong, don't go to that dr again and find a different one.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

with the PP. I'd also make sure you get tested for thyroid issues. Dry skin and thin hair can be symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP. I'd also make sure you get tested for thyroid issues. Dry skin and thin hair can be symptoms.
    this was my first thought as well. and the thyroid hormone replacement pill is perfectly fine to take while bfing, so don't let that scare you from being tested for it (i take it!)
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

no LLL league here I am afraid (I live on an island) but I guess I need to make an apt with my dr. Is it primarily blood tests I should be getting done?
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

i dont know about for vit. deficiencies. but for thyroid it is a blood test, yes. I think they call it TH4 screen here. its not so bad since you don't need to fast or anything for it.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

oh that's too bad about not having any LLL groups there, have you thought about starting your own? You know LLL is world wide?

I would get the works on blood work, checking vitamins, thyroid, etc.

Most medications do not require you to stop nursing, so if you get told that you need to be on a medication and need to stop nursing, before you stop nursing make a stop in here and ask some one to look up Dr Hale's book on the medication, or check out kellymom's website on the medication.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Thanks everyone, I wasn't even thinking thyroid problem AND my Mum is hypothyroid. I am tired too, but just figured it was due to lack of sleep. I am going this week to get checked out.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Oh and I have sent an inquiry to start a LLL here, but haven't heard back yet. Any other avenues to try? I am in the Caribbean.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

I have no idea, maybe you could pm some of the LLL leaders on the board? I think it would be awesome for you to start one. You could just start a informal one to begin with though, I wouldn't call it LLL tell you actually legally can, but you could at least start getting people used to coming to a meeting. Just call it a mom's breastfeeding support group, or some such, and invite every one from every where-put up invites at the grocery store bullentin board and such, call into radio shows and invite people, lol.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~