Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help me, please - Losing weigt and bf

Default Help me, please - Losing weigt and bf

I am very scared.
    I am losing weight (low cal-diet)(15 pounds in a month).

One of my good friend said that I should stop bf because my milk is not good enough anymore.
    She told me that since I am eating only the minimum, my milk will not have enough fat and protein in it and that my baby is going to be directly affected by this. She even told me that the baby might not gain weight anymore dued to the fact that the milk is not nutritious.
    I also heard about toxins going through the milk directly to the baby.

I don't want to stop breastfeeding but I don't want to hurt my baby!

Then again, I've heard that women often lose a lot of weight while bf and that it is normal. I also heard that women in poor countries do bf and their babies are ok.

What/who should I beleive?

Default Re: Help me, please - Losing weigt and bf

I should think you're lucky to be loosing weight. I don't think it will hurt your milk, but if you're worried, I would ask a professional LC or and LLL leader and not some friend. Also, if your baby seems to be healthy, happy and thriving, isn't that a good indicator?

I don't have answers for you, but I think others will and I think you will find that they will encourage you to keep nursing your baby. I lost some good weight in the beginning and then that tapered off. Our bodies go through many more changes after delivering the baby as they do carrying the baby.
    Good luck and keep it up. You are doing a great thing for your baby.

Your milk is perfect for your baby! And yes woman in third world countries bf and their LO get nutirition. It is your body that suffers. If you want to maintain or gain a little, try eating healthy fats like avocado, almonds, nuts in general, things like that. HTH...and no need to sstop bf!

Your milk is absolutely the best thing for your baby. Diet doesn't actually change the composition of milk much. If you lose too much weight too quickly it is more likely your health that will suffer. Here is what LLL has to say:

"Gradual weight loss of about one pound per week, while consuming about 1500 to 1800 calories per day, will help you to feel good and have the energy you need to care for your baby. The composition of your milk really does not vary much with your diet. (Mothers in famine conditions can produce milk that is nutritionally perfect for their babies.) However, your health may suffer if too many of your own reserves are used to provide milk. It takes a lot of energy to care for your baby so be sure to take care of yourself by "eating to hunger" and "drinking to thirst."

And this resource has excellent information on losing weight safely while breastfeeding. You do need to be sure not to cut too many calories too suddenly, as it can affect your milk supply ... but not your milk's composition.

So, keep up the good work providing your little one with that perfect nutrition and take care of yourself too!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon