Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping session duration

Default pumping session duration

question on how long to pump at work- if say 5-10 minutes into a pumping session, my milk stops dripping, do I still continue pumping up to 15-20 mins, even though nothing is coming out? Or, once I get to the amount of oz I need, can I stop the session?

Default Re: pumping session duration

The answer is: It depends. Super helpful, right?

Some women do better with more sessions, but shorter sessions. Some women do better with fewer longer sessions. It depends on your individual "storage capacity" and how responsive to the pump you are.

I always did better with longer sessions. With some breast massage, I could often get a second letdown and get the milk flowing again. Doing a longer session meant I only had to pump every 3-4 hours. This is common among women with oversupply, and stretching out pumpings can help reduce oversupply in those moms.

For moms trying to increase their supply, more frequent pumping is almost always better.

So it really depends. The risk of stopping after so short a time is that you're not really emptying your breast, and over time, that will reduce your supply. But if your supply is very ample, you may NEED to stop before emptying (or spread out your pumpings more) so that your body doesn't step up production a crazy amount.

Basically, if your supply is good and you're keeping up with your baby's needs, you can play this by ear and experiment until you find what works for you. If you feel like your supply is adversely affected by shorter pumpings, you can increase them again.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks Joes mom! When you say a longer session, how long did you pump each time?

30 minutes, usually. More or less.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.