Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still having nipple pain

Default still having nipple pain

I have a three week old and I am still hurting. She has a good amount of wet and poopy diapers, but it hurts like crazy when she latches on.

Default Re: still having nipple pain

Sorry you're still hurting, mama! If the pain is just at latch-on, and subsides after a few seconds, then it may just be the "30 second sizzle" (which isn't well-named since it can last just a few seconds or as long as a minute). What happens with the sizzle is that the nipple lands too shallow in the baby's mouth, and is compressed between the baby's tongue and hard palate. But after a few seconds, the nipple is sucked into the ideal position in the back of the baby's mouth, on the tongue underneath the so palate, at which point the pain ceases. If this is the case, it should get better even if you do absolutely nothing. The baby will grow and her mouth will grow, and as that happens she will be more able to get a deep latch every time, right from the beginning.

If, however, you are experiencing any of the following:
    - cracking, blistering
    - nipple that appear creased/wedged/asymmetrical (like new lipsticks) after feeding
    - nipples that appear white, bluish-purple, or blanched after feeding
    - burning pain accompanied by flaking, dry-looking skin, itching, and redness
    Then there may be something more significant going on. So let us know if you have any of those symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

sometimes it goes look like a new lipstick, I try to get her to open wide.

Lipstick nipples are generally a sign of a latch that is too shallow. If you're only seeing them once in a while, and you're not cracked or blistered, it's probably not that big of an issue and it should improve immensely as the baby grows. I'm thinking that you could see complete improvement in just a few weeks, though of course it's impossible to say. Keep working on the latch, and if it's really getting you down see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Shallow latch issues are often fixable with better positioning, and sometimes there's some simple trick that the LC can show you that will make all the discomfort disappear.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"