Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work....help!

Question Going back to work....help!

I am going back to work in a couple of weeks soooo:

We practiced our first bottle. It would have gone great, if daddy didn't almost waterboard him and I had the right bottle for the premie nipple I purchased....UGH!

I have a few concerns and questions...

Will my milk supply drop if I work 4-5 hours in the morning?
    I should be able to pump at least once during that time.

If I have to supplement with formula at some point will it make baby constipated?
    I have a good stock pile of frozen milk, but I have no idea how long it will last.

Baby is always hungry at the same time he is passing uncomfortable gas so his cues are confusing and he is reluctant to eat right away.

I am so stressed and anxious about all this, but I am glad I am only going back part time until summer comes.

Words of wisdom anyone??? anyone???

Default Re: Going back to work....help!

Your stock pile should only be touched in emergencies. Like you couldn't pump that day because something came up - and don't make that a habit!! - or you accidentally left the milk at work or the bottle got knocked over, etc. How old is your baby? I would probably try to pump right when you get to work and then 3 hours later. Since it sounds like you will be going to full time in several months, it will be good to have that first pumping time established and then only have to add a third when you are there the full day.

I have always pumped today for tomorrow and then rotate frozen stock on Mondays. So baby always gets fresh milk except for Mondays.

Your milk supply should be ok as long as you pump at least as much as your baby takes in. If you start supplementing - with formula or frozen milk - yes, your supply will drop.

And I know it's stressful, but don't worry too much about the bottle. If your baby refuses the bottle the whole time you're gone, it's only 5 or so hours. And some babies (not mine ) sleep at least that long at night. That's the thought that kept me sane at work when Lilah was a baby and refusing bottles.

There's a working and breastfeeding forum and a pumping forum - there's even a pumping chit chat thread where a bunch of pumping moms talk about their day and pumping.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Going back to work....help!

Thanks Tracie!! I'm a little new to the forums.