Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice-baby won't eat solids

Default Need Advice-baby won't eat solids

I chose to nurse exclusively (on cue) for baby’s first year. Now he is almost 14 months old. He is a high-need child and so he is rarely inclined to compromise or settle for something that he perceives is the best. That’s where the trouble comes in: we are having a much more difficult time transitioning to solid foods than we had expected. I plan to continue nursing at least until 2 years old. But I feel like he is not getting the nutrition he needs from just breast milk now, I can tell my milk has changed, and have read a bit about that too. Also, even though I try to drink and eat more calories, I feel so drained of energy--sometimes it is really bad…like lying on the floor utterly exhausted! (I’m vegan also, and we had no problem the first year, but now it is difficult for me to get enough protein and iron at this point to support my body and also a 26 lbs babe!) So I’ve been feeling desperate lately trying to find a way for him to get more calories from food. We’ve tried various pureed foods, water flavored by fruits and veggies, small bits of soft sliced or diced fruits and veggies….smoothies in a sippy cup….smoothies in a glass held by me….we’ve tried feeding from baby’s bowl and spoon, and from adult dishes/spoon. Some of these methods have worked temporarily, then he will start refusing and demanding to nurse instead when offered food. Or he’ll feed it to the dog. Oddly enough, he seems willing to taste just about anything. The problem seems to be more that he doesn’t want to transition. We’ve practiced Attachment Parenting almost religiously from his birth, and he’s always been allowed to nurse whenever he needed/wanted to, so I don’t want to force him to eat or force him to wean either. I’ve come across the phrase: baby-led solids but I don’t know anything about that concept, so if anyone practices that, I’m a bit curious about it. I gratefully welcome any advice, constructive opinions, or ideas to help us through this!!

Default Re: Need Advice-baby won't eat solids

Does it help to know that what you describe is entirely normal? Many children are not at all interested in solids until well into their second year. It can certainly be draining for a mom, particularly if she is restricting her diet in some way. But it won't last forever. Eventually your LO will decide to eat. The best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing: offer healthy solids and let baby decide to eat them. Because short of a tube down her esophagus, you can't make her eat!

BLS is basically offering baby solids that she can pick up and put into her own mouth. It's a no pressure approach that works well for many kids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

do you make the baby food? i make my baby food for my so and that helps because i could instead of adding water to make it softer and a better puree i could add my breastmilk and that helped him to get used to it. don't worry to much your milk is where the nutrion is and not really the other foods yet. the other foods are really a training tool to teach them how to chew and swallow something other then milk. as long as your still nursing him you'll be fine he'll get it eventually. try sweet potatoes they are cheap and sweet. if you make it yourself you can just try a little at a time then freeze the rest and it'll stay fine in the freezer for a while. i use ice cube trays to freeze it in because the cubes make perfect little servings.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Does it help to know that what you describe is entirely normal?
    Is it really??? If it is, then that does help a lot to know. I'm the only person I know who waited until 12 mo to introduce solids. And I get A LOT of negative pressure and high expectations from family members (not hubby though to get baby to eat. They try to use fear to pressure me about getting him to eat. I'm sure that they think they mean well....And maybe I'm reading the wrong info, but I get stressed out reading about how the breast milk doesn't have the same protein and good fats etc. that it did in the first year (maybe this is because baby just doesn't need as much of those things though...?) How have you become comfortable with the idea that this is normal? Just through experience or did you find any particular books to be helpful? You may think that your reply is simple and common sense, but to me it is very surprising. Compared to the other mothers I know and babies I see eating, I feel like a failure right now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kayrosekay14 View Post
    do you make the baby food? i make my baby food for my so and that helps because i could instead of adding water to make it softer and a better puree i could add my breastmilk and that helped him to get used to it. don't worry to much your milk is where the nutrion is and not really the other foods yet. the other foods are really a training tool to teach them how to chew and swallow something other then milk. as long as your still nursing him you'll be fine he'll get it eventually. try sweet potatoes they are cheap and sweet. if you make it yourself you can just try a little at a time then freeze the rest and it'll stay fine in the freezer for a while. i use ice cube trays to freeze it in because the cubes make perfect little servings.
    I have made all of his baby food so far. It sounds like my methods have been very similar to yours Sweet potato puree was his first food on his birthday. It is helpful to read that you also seem to think this is normal or "no big deal". I'm beginning to see that my perception of the situation has been probably been skewed by expectations and examples set by others.

Have you looked at www.kellymom.com at all? That would be a good place for you to start. I'm wondering where you're getting your information that your milk isn't good enough anymore. I'm answering a little bit for mommal here - but no, I don't think most moms wait until 12 months to introduce solids, although we have seen some on here before. But I will tell you that I may as well not have introduced them to my older daughter until a year as she did not really eat them. And she didn't start eating them until 14 or 15 months as I recall. My second baby went crazy for solids pretty early, I couldn't have kept them from her if I tried starting around 8 months. But even still, she is 12.5 months old and most of her diet is my milk.

The only thing I thought of that may be contributing to your baby's issues (which I don't actually think are issues, so I'm not sure about that word...) with food could be anemia. I have seen moms on here that have babies with anemia that don't eat food. And once their iron goes up to a normal level they start eating more food. But that's probably not the case with your baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It really is totally normal for babies not to each much until they are well into their second year. Really!

When I was stressing about the amount of solid food that my baby- then about 9 months old- wasn't eating, my pediatrician told me that "Until the first birthday, breastmilk or formula alone meets all the baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After the first birthday, solids start to become and important part of the baby's diet, but the transition from needing only milk or formula to needing a lot of solids is a gradual one".

The information you're getting about breastmilk declining in the amount of good fat and protein is utterly erroneous. Milk composition does not change based on a birthday. There's nothing special about day 365 as opposed to day 364. The type and amount of nursing a baby does is responsible for altering the nutritional composition of the milk, and at least one study found that after a year breastmilk actually had increased calorie content, when compared to milk produced by women who had been nursing for less than a year. Here's a link to the abstract: http://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/con...16/3/e432.full

ETA: I am with the PP who said that most moms don't wait until 12 months to introduce solids. I think most of us start around 4-6 months, and tend to start slow, offering just tastes at first and not expecting baby to eat much until well past the first birthday. I mean, some babies really chow down on solids early on, but others really don't get into the experience until they're closing in on 18 months. Until around 14-15 months, my first kid would smush solids with her hands, drop them on the floor, fling them- everything except eat them!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you eating together as a family? I find that my children as more interested in eating when everyone is eating. My daughters were slow to start, and we do some BLS and some purees, but now they are really into it. They sit in their high chairs, DS is in his booster seat, and mommy & daddy are there too (at least for dinner, and 3 meals on weekends)>
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I worried about my son not eating solids as well, but I am still nursing and he finally all of a sudden decided around a 2 that he was ready to eat. I was still nursing 12 or more times a day until then and he was thriving so I continued with baby led solids. He also has a lot of allergies and I think that had something to do with it. he eats pretty well now and isn't a picky eater.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

My daughter barely started eating any real solids until she was closer to 15-16 months.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!