Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby gulping and grunting during feedings...over active let down??????

Default baby gulping and grunting during feedings...over active let down??????

I have a 3 week old who is nursing wonderfully but he seems to gulp and grunt and move around a lot when he nurses. Sometimes he unlatches himself several times during a feeding. I only offer one breast with each feeding and that seems to work out good. I am wondering if I have an over active let down. I don't seem to spray any milk when he unlatches and I don't have any pain when my milk lets down. I am unsure if this is what is the problem or something else.
    What can be done to make him more comfortable if I do have an over active let down? I could really use the advice...as I cannot get in to see a lactation consultant until next week.

Default Re: baby gulping and grunting during feedings...over active let down??????

My sister just had a baby about 4 weeks ago and was having pretty much the same problem. Sounds like it is OALD-(over active let down)

What helped for my sister was to pump a little before your feeding if you are engorged. Also to have your baby bf in an upright position might help for the gulping and such. Another thing besides pumping is just hand expressing some milk into a burp cloth or something like that. Or once the let down comes let that just flow onto a burp cloth and than continue feeding.

hope some of this helps you out!