Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unsure of Thrush symptoms

Default Unsure of Thrush symptoms

Hey Ladies, I need some advice again and hoping you can help out. I'm having some slight pain in my breasts and I was hoping to explain exactly what I am feeling and get your thoughts since I don't speak the local language here, it's really hard to explain my symptoms well enough to get a good diagnosis.

Background: LO is 3 weeks 5 days old. We had a great homebirth and she has been nursing great. I was unsure at first if she was gaining weight properly as she has a really unusual poop pattern, going about 5 days between poops, however at her last check-up, she had surpassed her birth weight so I think she is OK in that regard.

For several days I've had what I would say is slight burning sensation in my nipples, but only when they are brushed, by either clothes or babies hand/mouth etc. I have no pain when she is actually nursing, just when she comes off and is sleeping near my nipples and brushes against them. And wearing "tight" clothes that don't brush against my nipples doesn't hurt either, just when something brushed against them. Also today I'm having some slight shooting pains in one breast.

Other things to note is that baby has been pulling off the breast a little more during nursing, but just here and there, not consistently. She is also very gassy and really hates it to fart. She gets really grumpy and cries whenever she farts, but the crying/grumps don't last long, just while she is actively farting.

Being a first time mom, I'm not sure if this is all normal beginning "pain" because it really isn't that terrible, just uncomfortable. Your thoughts would be great to know if I should be calling my Dr.

Thanks in Advanced!

Default Re: Unsure of Thrush symptoms

Are your nipples red or flakey at all? Does DD have any white spots on the insides of her cheeks? It sounds like it could be thrush. My advise is to nip it in the butt as quickly as possible with meds but if you want you can first try to wash all your bras in a vinegar solution and hang in the sun to dry or tumble dry on high heat or you could try them in a GSE and use that on your nipples as well. Go topless as much as possible and wash your nipples with soap and warm water after every feed and sanitize anything DD has in her mouth often like pacifiers teethers or anything else like that. For us with thrush with A2 the prescribed Nystatin for 3 rounds didn't work. We didn't get rid of it until we got the Diflucan. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

It sounds like it could be. Those were almost my exact symptoms of the nipple pain and shooting pains in one breast, when I had it with DS2. I had symptoms first and then noticed the white spots in his mouth a few days later, but I was already suspecting it so I'd made an appointment with the doctor. The white spots were pretty hard for me to miss, so I knew right away (keep an eye on her cheeks, lips and tongue). Nystatin took care of it for both of us.

I also wanted to mention that baby's poops are totally normal. When they're exclusively breastfed, babies often go a week or more without having a poop. As long as it's easy for her to pass, I wouldn't worry about that at all.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Thrush is very very tricky to diagnose and it is way over diagnosed. The most reliable sign that it is thrush is flaky nipple and/or areola skin OR shiny nipple and/or areola skin, accompained by usually pretty severe breast/nipple pain. Baby can be completely asymptomatic but, if it is thrush, would still need to be treated.

How does your nipple look after nursing? Mishapen, creased? Any nipple damage at all? Any whiteness (blanching) of the nipple after nursing?

Are you washing your nipples with soap, (not recommended) or doing anything else that might irritate them? Are you using any new creams? Since it does not hurt to nurse I wonder if this is simply irritation from nipple dryness or a reaction to something.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Thrush is very very tricky to diagnose and it is way over diagnosed. The most reliable sign that it is thrush is flaky nipple and/or areola skin OR shiny nipple and/or areola skin, accompained by usually pretty severe breast/nipple pain. Baby can be completely asymptomatic but, if it is thrush, would still need to be treated.

How does your nipple look after nursing? Mishapen, creased? Any nipple damage at all? Any whiteness (blanching) of the nipple after nursing?

Are you washing your nipples with soap, (not recommended) or doing anything else that might irritate them? Are you using any new creams? Since it does not hurt to nurse I wonder if this is simply irritation from nipple dryness or a reaction to something.
    I don't have any flaking or shiny nipples. I using lanolin cream (medela brand) regularly. I don't think I have misshapen nipples. They aren't perfect pencil shaped, but they are not creased or like lipstick. No blanching either. I do think I have a bleb on one nipple, but it isn't bothering me at all. I also don't use soap when washing. In fact water hitting them directly in the shower is also slightly painful, so it's more like and indirect rinse with just water. Overall, my skin has recently become very, very dry. I've started using Body Shop body butter on the rest of my body, but it is what I used before, during pregnancy, so not new.

I think it's probably just irritation, but wanted to get you opinions. Thanks!