Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk milk everywhere!!

Default Milk milk everywhere!!

First let me say I forgot how messy the beginning can be!!

DD was born last Friday and my milk came in big time yesterday! We were starting to get the hang of latching comfortably, but now it's all she can do not to drown in milk. She's been a trooper about it; we feed very frequently and pretty much only in side lying or reclining positions to help her control the flow. I've also only been offering one side at a time for a couple of hours then switching so it's less full. What else can I do to help her so she dosnt have to keep latching and unlatching in the short time it takes her to eat?
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Default Re: Milk milk everywhere!!

Congrats on the new baby! I think you are already doing pretty much everything that should be done, and really what you need to do is to be patient and wait for your supply to adjust to baby's needs. You could hand express some milk before she feeds, but every drop you remove is a drop your body thinks you need to make again, so removing milk in excess of what the baby needs just perpetuates the problem. If you can get by without pumping or expressing, that's for the best.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Woo hoo. For your milk coming in I guess that diaper package came just in the nick of time.

You are already doing the few things that helped W when my OALD kicked in. I wish I had more advice for you, sorry

Hope things go well.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I agree it sounds like you are doing lots right, especially the frequent nursing. It is v. good & normal to have lots of milk at this point, it will likely settle down quite soon if you keep nursing tons. Frankly at this early age I would be cautious about block nursing as letting baby finish the first side first (even if it means nursing only one side per session) and nursing frequently will take care of this early weeks overabundance in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaDuMonte View Post
    Woo hoo. For your milk coming in I guess that diaper package came just in the nick of time.

You are already doing the few things that helped W when my OALD kicked in. I wish I had more advice for you, sorry

Hope things go well.
    The diapers came just in time!! I'm so excited to be able to use the girly stuff too, it's so cute!

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    1/1/14

Thanks for the replies, good to know I've learned a few things in the last two years
    I'll try my hardest not to express or pump!

lllmeg- so you would recommend changing sides after each feeding even if she doesn't come close to emptying a side? Sometimes she seems full after just a few minutes but then she might nurse again after only a half hour.

SAHM to:
    1/1/14

lllmeg- so you would recommend changing sides after each feeding even if she doesn't come close to emptying a side? Sometimes she seems full after just a few minutes but then she might nurse again after only a half hour.
    Oh no. I would recommend you go by how you feel and follow your instincts.

Basically when I post, I am thinking about not only the poster but the many lurkers who are gathering here and getting info from the threads here. When it comes to OALD and/or oversupply, I am generally worried that going right to hardcore block feeding is not usually appropriate in the early weeks, as it could lead to low supply if the issue has been misread. Some overabundance in the early days is normal, and serious block feeding may led to supply issues in that case. This is especially an issue because many new moms are 'soft scheduling' as well as block feeding, and that can really lead to supply issues, kwim?

In the case of an experienced nursing mom who has no problem nursing baby very frequently, I do not have those concerns. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 1st, 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Oh no. I would recommend you go by how you feel and follow your instincts.

Basically when I post, I am thinking about not only the poster but the many lurkers who are gathering here and getting info from the threads here. When it comes to OALD and/or oversupply, I am generally worried that going right to hardcore block feeding is not usually appropriate in the early weeks, as it could lead to low supply if the issue has been misread. Some overabundance in the early days is normal, and serious block feeding may led to supply issues in that case. This is especially an issue because many new moms are 'soft scheduling' as well as block feeding, and that can really lead to supply issues, kwim?

In the case of an experienced nursing mom who has no problem nursing baby very frequently, I do not have those concerns. Sorry for the confusion.
    Gottcha, thanks for clarifying. I forget there are Mommas that read but don't necessarily post

SAHM to:
    1/1/14