Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Start fenugreek?

Default Start fenugreek?

My lo is 5 months old and is on the small side. He was born via c-section at 7 pds 2 oz and dropped to 6 pds 5 oz in the hospital. He is now 14 pds 4 oz but has only been gaining about 3 oz. a week recently. I am a full time teacher and pump 3 times a day. I was getting 12 oz a day which seemed perfect for him when I was gone. We also nurse during my lunch. Yesterday and today I've come up an ounce or two short and have had to pump in the evening when I have a hard time producing enough. Last night I had to pump after he nursed at 2 am. I already drink lots of yogi nursing tea, eat oatmeal, eat nursing cookies, and drink lots of water every day. LO seems content most of the time and is very active during the day but I'm still worried. I'm wondering if I should start taking fenugreek. Also, if I do is it alright to take it with the yogi nursing tea since that also has fenugreek in it? I have posted about his weight before so I apologize for this being long but I know all of you ladies are always so supportive. Thanks for any advice and suggestions you might have.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Default Re: Start fenugreek?

As far as his weight gain it sounds fine to me. It's consistent and its a gain so that's good. As far as the fenugreek I am not sure since I have never had to use it. Do you do breast compressions while you pump? You might find this video helpful http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Is AF coming soon? My supply dips quite a bit before I get af... Other than that, what kind of pump are you using? Do you maybe need to put new valves or membranes on?
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

I do compressions and haven't gotten AF back yet. I have a PISA and replaced everything about a month ago but I guess I could try new membrames again.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Is he drinking 12 oz a day while you are gone? That is a lot. He should be getting approximately one oz per hour you are gone, minus your lunch session. Every babe is different but this is a good approximation of what to expect. If baby is not uncomfortable overfeeding is not an issue unless you start worrying about not producing enough to meet that need. I would , if you aren't already, start bottling into 2 oz bags. Feed 2 oz at a time and wait to see if baby wants more and offer another 2 oz as necessary, just to see if it is perhaps overfeeding. Babies will suck a bottle down even if full because the constant drip of bottle stimulates sucking reflex. So that a child will finish a bottle is not an indicator that they needed that much. Also if overfed a baby can get gassy/refluxy which causes pain and then they want to suck to help the pain thus making issue worse and confusing people into feeding again. This may or may not be relevant to you but thought I would mention it just in case. For more information see kellymom.com
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.