Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant nursing...I'm going bonkers

Default Constant nursing...I'm going bonkers

Hi All,
    I've been reading this forum for the past several months, and finally feel compelled to write. All of your advice to one another has been incredibly helpful.

I'm going bananas!
    For the last few days, my 5 week old is nursing constantly, and will not settle down unless he is at the breast. He won't sleep anywhere but in my lap after nursing - If he falls asleep at the breast and I move him (even after waiting forever for him to get into a deep sleep), he wakes up almost immediately and starts screaming. He's gone the last few days barely sleeping at all during the day, which just makes him even harder to calm down. He cries even for the 1 minute it takes to burp him.
    I know he's ok, and it's all probably normal - I keep telling myself its a growth spurt - I just need to hear that this won't go on forever. As it is now, I can barely eat or brush my teeth and my cracks are starting to show. I can't just set him down and let him scream, but I can't sit on the couch all day either! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance, ladies.
    -k

Default Re: Constant nursing...I'm going bonkers

This is pretty exactly what my first post on this forum looked like, too. Take heart in the fact it will pass. In fact, I think it got better shortly after I posted -- it's pretty likely you are in a growth spurt (gosh, I felt it was constant growth spurt for the first two months!). I found that when I really needed a break, it did help to set him down even for a couple minutes, even if it meant him crying, because then at least I could pick him up again because I wanted to make him feel better. It somehow made me feel more in control. But I would mostly suggest that you get yourself some good videos and insist that someone else be feeding you. When my DH was working, I asked a neighbor to stop by so that I could get pee & snack breaks. Do you have a wrap or ring sling? Those help a lot, too, though they took some adjustment for our LO to accept them regularly. In the meanwhile, yes, you probably have to sit on the couch all day. But, trust me, it will change soon! Stick around for support...
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

What you're going through is so frustrating, but it's all normal, and it will pass. Do you have a sling? If your baby likes the sling, you could potentially get off the couch once in a while. If not... Well, this might not be the most popular advice but sometimes mama has to brush her teeth, shower, go to the bathroom- and if she does baby can be in someone else's arms or in a bouncy seat, swing, bassinet, crib, etc. (My kids were often in a laundry basket.) Yes, he might scream the entire 5-10 minutes it takes you to shower or whatever, but you do deserve to feel human and it will enable you to take better care of him. Hang in there!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

growth spurt. It will pass. Eventually
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yup sounds like a growth spurt to me. And I agree you can't just let him cry of course not. Have you tried wearing him? We love the Moby wrap here. You can BF in it too hands free. Also with a Mei Tei or some of those types. I've actually only ever used the Moby because I love it so much. But different things work for different people of course. It WILL get better. I felt the exact same way as you when A2 was about 5 weeks. Like the minute I was done feeding her she wanted to eat again. We had her sleep in the room we were in during the day, ie the living room, in a moses basket. She slept better with hearing me and A1 close I think. But sometimes she would ONLY sleep in the moby during the day. So try that. I didn't have much time to read all the other replies so someone may have already suggested that. This too shall pass Great job mama!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

As much as I feel like I should hate doing it, I often put my babies in a safe place while I go take a shower, eat, pee, etc. Without my sanity, my baby suffers, a little bit of crying will not hurt her in the long run.

(We just got a Seven sling, and I'm looking forward to using it.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irishlake View Post
    As much as I feel like I should hate doing it, I often put my babies in a safe place while I go take a shower, eat, pee, etc. Without my sanity, my baby suffers, a little bit of crying will not hurt her in the long run.

(We just got a Seven sling, and I'm looking forward to using it.)
    I have a seven sling. I like it but I much prefer the Moby Wrap and how it distributes weight over both shoulders. You'll have to update on whether you like your Seven in the baby wearing forum. And it's true I have let my babies fuss before while I take a quick shower. Or eat. Haha. Often a bouncer in the bathroom and a game of peek a boo with the shower curtain is what I do

Oh I was also going to suggest using a Nap Nanny www.napnanny.com I have heard great things about them. Maybe you LO would sleep better in one of those?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irishlake View Post
    This is actually a completely debatable issue. There is tons of research that show that in fact can do a ton of damage to let an infant CIO.
    To the OP Why can't you sit on the couch all day? It's what most of us do for the 1st 6-8 weeks for sure. What's wrong with setting up a nursing station and planning on being posted up all day on the couch nursing?

Way too lazy for formula

With distraction aids of course. The Remotes, Movies, books magazines, the phone, laptop...why can't you do that?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    This is actually a completely debatable issue. There is tons of research that show that in fact can do a ton of damage to let an infant CIO.
    To the OP Why can't you sit on the couch all day? It's what most of us do for the 1st 6-8 weeks for sure. What's wrong with setting up a nursing station and planning on being posted up all day on the couch nursing?
    I'm totally posted on the couch nursing away, as I have been for the last 5 weeks. I have no problem with that - I'm just looking for ways to balance things out a bit so that I am able to better take care of myself. My DS is so sensitive right now and insistent on nursing/being close to the breast that I find myself sacrificing my sanity (I didn't eat until 3:00 today) so that I can stay and nurse him. Not something I can sustain for any length of time. My partner returned to work very recently, and I am working on figuring this out.
    Wearing the babe is a great idea that I haven't really explored yet - I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Glad to know that this is normal...