Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant nursing...I'm going bonkers

Default Re: Constant nursing...I'm going bonkers

I think a nursing station is normal as well. I think posted on the couch with Snacks, and distractions and PLANNING on that will help immensely with your mental state. If you wake up thinking your only goal is to feed the baby then when that is all you get done you get to feel accomplished! I started wearing my son at 6weeks. But I feel like getting up to Pee, get more food and change diapers is pretty par for this point in. I would also have your Partner bring home take out. The dishes and other things can wait until the weekend when you have an extra set of hands. They only need you like this for a small moment in time. You will never get it back. Relish it. You will blink your eyes and you will have a toddler who you can't catch that will NEVER EVER even want to sit still long enough to nurse. Take the time it takes these first weeks to let your baby regulate your supply while you get to know each other and find your rhythm as a dyad. You are getting there, but your baby very well need you this intensely for another couple of weeks and there will be other growth spurts. And all you can do IS nurse through them. That is what you are supposed to do. They usually double their size in the first 3-4 months. It's takes constant nursing to make that happen and make sure you can keep up with the ever growing demand. Stay focused Mama. You were meant for this work.

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah they should tell us about the nursing station before we have babies! No one ever tells you this! I had to learn after I had DD1! After her, now before I go to have my babies, or a week before due date, I go and get all prepared-get my hair cut. Load up on healthy snacks, and a huge water drinking cup/glass. Get all my favorite magazines, and a book or two. And so far seems like my hubby has bought me a new lap top with each kid. lol haha Set up station and don't move till he gets home. I get to eat since my station is loaded with snacks, and water. I'm on month three, and still kind of on my station. Just bought snacks again yesterday. I was that loaded up this time though, most the snacks lasted me three months. I really loaded down this time. Well, truth be told, I told my mom what I was doing the day before I went to have my DS, and she contributed about 300 dollars towards my snacks for my nursing station. lol So I was able to really load up! lol My husband has even considered getting me a small fridge for my nursing station, but I don't want to be that close to the chemicals in a fridge. lol haha A crock pot though may be a good idea! haha but funny thing is, I just taught my five year old the other day how to use the crock pot to help us. lol haha She did pretty good. (I supervised her). I will give her another lesson with it tomorrow. Maybe she can start cooking a little for us. The crock pot is pretty safe, as it doesn't get hot enough to burn her, and she doesn't need to turn it on till all the food is in it. So again less chance of getting hurt. lol haha And yes I am totally serious! lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

oh and a sling is so needed. My sil is preggo with number one and she has been here since I had DS, and she is like ok I need one of those. I was like for sure, it's the only way you get to move out of bed, or off the couch! Personally myself my station is in my bedroom, so I can easily get in and out of bed if I want. I have a recliner, with a coffee table, etc and a rolling old hospital table (got at a auction) for my lap top and to eat off. It's awesome! But, you have to have a large bedroom to do that. I grew up in smaller houses this wouldn't work in, but now we live in larger bedroom places so it totally works for me.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

While I have tried the nursing station with #2, it just wasn't realistic for us. Part of it is that my butt gets numb from sitting in the same chair all time. So I'll nurse on the couch, on the bed, in the recliner, etc. Wherever feels best at that time. So long as I have my water with me, I'm in good shape. Staying stationary in a nursing station for 6-8 weeks isn't realistic for many new moms. Not everyone here is a SAHM, cloth diapering, breastfeeding for years, completely natural L&D type of new mom. And that is ok! I'll always admire and respect another moms choices, so long as they aren't harming their baby. Whatever works best for each mom is what's best for them, and no one should ever be made to feel inferior if they do something differently. I hate seeing new moms chastised or scolded for not being like "most" other moms, when really, it may be "many" but certainly not "most." For me, it's back to work sometime between 6 and 8 weeks. I'll pump my heart out until I reach my goal of BF time, which is 4 months. Don't get me wrong, it's gotten easier with each kid. But with my job, pumping can prove to be difficult (I'm a geologist at a nuclear facility). And my husbands work schedule, while awesome, doesn't always work out in our favor. He's a firefighter/Medic, works 24 hours, is off for 48. So during those 24 hours he's working, it's up to me to feed all 3, make sure the other kids have clean clothes to wear, that my daughter has her homework done, and that both older kids get a little bit of individual attention, that daughter gets to and from school on time, that the dogs get fed and let outside, etc. With my son, I got proficient at nursing while standing in that sometimes difficult cradle hold. I'll get there again with this baby as well.

Hang in there MilkMonsterMama (love that name!)! It'll get better, we've all been there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkmonstermama View Post
    I keep telling myself its a growth spurt
    Defiantly sounds like a growth spurt to me!! This to shall pass, the first 2 months were like a haze to me most of the time when I think back I feel like we were in a constant growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkmonstermama View Post
    (I didn't eat until 3:00 today)
    Try getting snacks set next to you along with all your distractions. I would make sure before DH left in the am I had all the things I would need. Computer, book, phone, remote, lots of water, and snacks. I kept a bowl of fruit, granola bars, some raw veggies etc. Most days I ate those and a cold sammy (usually made while DS was still latched.)

I also kept a clean blanket on the floor in the bathroom so that I could pee. DS was better when he was close to me. For showers and such I would either use the vibrating rocker chair and put it in the bathroom with me or wait for DH to come home then take one (some days I would even just take a bath with DS).

a good sling or wrap will help also. You can move around more, even go for a walk and still have LO close and able to nurse as needed.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irishlake View Post
    Not everyone here is a SAHM, cloth diapering, breastfeeding for years, completely natural L&D type of new mom. And that is ok!
    I would venture to guess that there are only a handful of moms around here that fit this entire line.

I stayed on the couch for 10-ish weeks with my first, I took 3 months off before I went back to work. Also, I had a c-section, so that added to my desire not to move around too much. I agree with the nursing station idea. Mine was on the couch, which is quite comfortable, and djs.mom is right - you will never have the chance to just sit still again. At least not for many more years. It's funny now, but Lilah is 3 and I miss that. Things were easier with my second (likely in part due to VBAC), and also she was just a mellower baby and I didn't have to learn how to nurse.

It really sounds like a growth spurt. You'll get through it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    Often a bouncer in the bathroom and a game of peek a boo with the shower curtain is what I do
    This is exactly what I did. It was the only way I could get a shower for months! When mine could sit up well on his own and play, I started taking him into the shower with me. I am still doing that at 14 months because it saves a ton of time; we both get clean in the time it takes for one shower.

And definitely look into a sling/wrap/carrier. I have a few different types and they have totally saved my sanity! My son was a newborn during the winter too, and having him snuggled up nice and warm against my chest allowed us to get out of the house for short periods. I really needed that back then.

It does get better, faster than you think while you're in the thick of it. Even though it was so very draining in the beginning, I sometimes even miss camping out on he couch with my little grub now that he's getting so big and independent.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irishlake View Post
    Not everyone here is a SAHM, cloth diapering, breastfeeding for years, completely natural L&D type of new mom.
    I'd also like to mention that I'm not a stay at home mom. I went back to work after two weeks (very part-time), but I have the luxury of bringing my baby with me (another huge advantage of owning a sling!). I did stay camped out on he couch or in bed while I was at home though.

We all come from different backgrounds, but we are all trying to do what's best for our babies. Follow what your heart tells you and it will work out.

And with everyone who is thinking growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    This is exactly what I did. It was the only way I could get a shower for months! When mine could sit up well on his own and play, I started taking him into the shower with me. I am still doing that at 14 months because it saves a ton of time; we both get clean in the time it takes for one shower.
    I do this too! With A1 I have since she could sit up and she is now 3 and we just all go in the shower together. I have just started taking A2 in with us too! I think its quite an accomplishment that I can hold a baby, have a 3 year old running around me and shave my legs all at the same time
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    I do this too! With A1 I have since she could sit up and she is now 3 and we just all go in the shower together. I have just started taking A2 in with us too! I think its quite an accomplishment that I can hold a baby, have a 3 year old running around me and shave my legs all at the same time
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months