Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need to get my DD to drink more liquids

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default Need to get my DD to drink more liquids

    My 14m old has recently decreased her urine output and the Dr. and I are pretty sure it's due to my decreasing supply (I'm 9w pregnant).

    This kid barely takes in liquids, she still breastfeeds often and every 2hrs at night, but it's obvious she is just not getting enough. I offer a drinks all throughout the day - apple juice, orange juice, pear juice, milk, water - this kid has a few sips and pushes it away. She does eat solids, but not a bunch, plus her 1yr molars are pushing through and creating real problems

    I have to get her drinking something else and soon! My DH swears that me giving her a bottle of warm milk to emulate the BF experience is the way to go, I think he should do it.

    Anyone out there with any advice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    IME my kids wont take a bottle from me, they know the tab is right there. what about smoothies, coconut water, soups and fruit?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    Have you tried straws? There are several straw cups that have worked for both my daughters. Never did take the bottle, but both were using straws by about 11 months with relative ease compared to sippy cups.

    And if it's getting desperate, I'm yet to see a teething toddler refuse ice. LOTS of ice. It won't make up for all of her fluid, but it's a start.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aphimama View Post
    Have you tried straws? There are several straw cups that have worked for both my daughters. Never did take the bottle, but both were using straws by about 11 months with relative ease compared to sippy cups.
    She does own two straw sippy cups and that's pretty much what she uses (when she does use them). She was starting to drink a lot more on her own and then this whole teething thing reared it's ugly head and now she wants boob, boob and more boob. I hate that I am losing my supply so quickly, I want her to be properly hydrated and I let her BF when she wants so she gets something in her, but man, what a challenge.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    IME my kids wont take a bottle from me, they know the tab is right there. what about smoothies, coconut water, soups and fruit?
    I honestly didn't think about smoothies, she really really likes yogurt, this might be a great idea. Also, never tried coconut water, but why not? Also, my girl never really took bottles, I had such a struggle in the beginning with breastfeeding that I was so scared of giving her a bottle (regret that somewhat, I barely leave her side let alone the house).

    Side question

    I had planned to night wean her using the Gordon method, then I got pregnant and her molars started causing issues. Should I still try to night wean/sleep train her or just wean her first and get her on a bottle throughout the night (is this even possible??) and THEN worry about her sleeping better at night? My thoughts are tackling both at the same time but DH says that's going to be way too much for her.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    I would delay night weaning until her intake in under control or
    She gets used to other liquids. Then when you are confident she is receiving adequate hydration. And nutrition try the Gordon. Method. Good luck! I nurse throughout my pregnancy and it was a roller coaster
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    I totally get where you are. DD2 is 14 months, still nursing, and I'm 10 weeks preggo. My supply has dropped some but is still there, but we started offering water all the time and it helps. She's cutting two bottom molars and has slowed down on fluid intake, but the ice helps.

    Try nursing but having the water cup nearby throughout the day. Sometimes the comfort of nursing helps enough to encourage drinking some, too. DD2 likes to nurse, then have some water, then nurse, then have some water. It's tedious, but she gets both comfort and fluids. Much like first starting BF, just offer it as much as you can and eventually she will start taking more. Smoothies and fruit are excellent options, like PP said.

    What prompted you to want to night wean/sleep train? If your supply is gone, she may not even need the boob/bottle at night, but will wake because she still needs comfort from you. Especially while teething. It gets better after the molars, though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aphimama View Post
    I totally get where you are. DD2 is 14 months, still nursing, and I'm 10 weeks preggo. My supply has dropped some but is still there, but we started offering water all the time and it helps. She's cutting two bottom molars and has slowed down on fluid intake, but the ice helps.

    Try nursing but having the water cup nearby throughout the day. Sometimes the comfort of nursing helps enough to encourage drinking some, too. DD2 likes to nurse, then have some water, then nurse, then have some water. It's tedious, but she gets both comfort and fluids. Much like first starting BF, just offer it as much as you can and eventually she will start taking more. Smoothies and fruit are excellent options, like PP said.

    What prompted you to want to night wean/sleep train? If your supply is gone, she may not even need the boob/bottle at night, but will wake because she still needs comfort from you. Especially while teething. It gets better after the molars, though.
    I haven't tried ice for some reason, I need to do that!

    I wanted to sleep train because the thought of a 2yr old STILL waking every 2 hrs (something she's done pretty much since birth) scares the he-double hockey sticks out of me! I don't want to me 8 months pregnant and still being woken up that often. We co-sleep, which I love, but I don't think co-sleeping with a toddler and a newborn is going to happen.

    I will definitely wait until her fluid intake is under control before night weaning because I know she is getting something during that period. She did better today with a sippy of milk, I will keep trying.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    594

    Default Re: Need to get my DD to drink more liqu

    I just remembered making breastmilk popsicles for my first. If you have a stash of pumped milk that you may not use, they went over very well. The cold helped the teeth, and the milk helped the hydration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •