Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NIP and laid back position

Default Re: NIP and laid back position

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    I was going to say maybe if she were at a park she could be lying down on a picnic blanket, but then I looked at your location. ha! nevermind... it's balmy here
    yeah - not unless she wants to make snow angels while nursing.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

It is entirely possible to use a laid back position and NIP. "Laid Back" aka biological nurturing does not HAVE to mean fully or mostly reclined. It merely means that mom is tilted back somewhat. If you are sitting at the computer right now, take a traditional typists postion-sitting straight up with a straight back. OK, that is not laid back. Now tilt back just slightly so you are resting more on your tailbone (this is what Suzanne Colson calls "sacral sitting. ") That is a laid back position. The range of positions that are considered 'laid back' is large. On her DVD and in her book, Colson shows moms sitting at a cafe and nursing 'laid back." A mom can absolutely sit in a hard backed chair in a restaurant etc. and do laid back. I demonstrate & witness laid back positioning at LLL meetings all the time and my meetings are in a room with a hard linoleum floor and only hard back regular chairs-and no couches.

The problem is the name-"laid back' so everyone thinks mom has to be in a bed or a couch to do these positions. Also many illustrations and pictures on line show moms doing laid back with newborns and of course they usually are in bed, in the hospital, for example. But Colson's research shows any leaning back position is beneficial, even a slight lean. The degere of lean can be adjusted by mom as needed.
    I would suggest your friend keep experimenting. If she can attend a breastfeeding support meeting that is a good place to practice NIP. Some moms like to practice in front of a mirror or in front of a friend. But if laid back works well for your frind, she absolutely does not have to abandon it in order to NIP.

Thank you for this Meg! Which one of her DVD's in particular? "Love of Milk" or the "Biological Nurturing Laid back Breastfeeding for Mothers" one? Heck, maybe if I'm lucky it will be in my midwives library and I'll be able to borrow it on her behalf!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

It's in "Biological Nurturing Laid back Breastfeeding for Mothers". At least I am almost positive it is, I have never seen Love of Milk so it is not in that that I know of. It for sure is in her Biological Nurturing book. I can't check my copy of the DVD to make certain right now because I lent it to a mom and am still waiting for it back. But I am pretty sure it is there.

But really your friend does not need pix. The beauty of this type of positioning is that every mom and baby pair is free to figure out things for themselves, there really is no wrong way to do it. She can just take whatever positioning she is doing now and try sitting up a bit more, and adjust baby as needed. Baby can be in any position.

I think half the battle with NIP is psychological. No matter how one does it or how discreet one is, the fact is you are baring your breast in public and that can feel really weird. When first NIP, mom's so often feel like a huge spotlight has clicked on them and a band has started playing the ditty "Oh look she's nursing in public!" and everyone in the vicinity is looking on, engrossed. This is not reality, but there is no doubt it can feel that way.

That why I think it is so important to see other moms nursing. It's amazing how little is seen in most cases, even if mom is not using any special clothes, bras, or covers. I will never forget as a new mom at a mommy and me meeting, sitting so self-consciously in my chair, fumbling with my fancy breastfeeding bra and trying to figure out how in the world to nurse without a pillow, and watching another mom sit cross-legged on the floor, pull her sports bra down out of the way, lift her t shirt, and nurse her child, all while she regaled the group with a funny story. It was so free and easy and even though I of course knew exactly what she was doing I did not see anything. It was a real revelation to me.