Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Started partial wean, won't take bottle anymore

Red face Started partial wean, won't take bottle anymore

I wanted to start slowly weaning my almost 7 month old baby. I started a week ago and supplemented one feeding with formula mid morning. I was doing this for about 5 days, then he refused to take the bottle the next day. He just chewed on the nipple. I didn't force it, just bf instead. I tried again the next day and still would just chew the nipple. No crying and he didn't get upset, just chewed the nipple with no interest, then tried to grab at my "boobs". So I bf instead again. I don't want to force anything if he is not ready, so I will keep trying. He has been taking a bottle since he was around a month old just when we go out and he is being babysat by family. So we've never had this issue before. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone been in this situation before? He is eating a lot of solid food. He mows down on everything we give him. He's a pretty easy going baby, so this new behaviour confuses me. He was babysat tonight while we went out for dinner and wouldn't take the bottle of breastmilk this time from the grandparents either - just chewed on it again. Please help if you can!

Default Re: Started partial wean, won't take bottle anymore

My DD started refusing the bottle (of EBM) at around 10 months old. For a while we just tried to give it to her in a sippy cup with some success. Now that she's 14 months old, she only BFs in the evening and morning hours.
    Anyway, maybe your easy going baby is staging a quiet rebellion, declaring his right to the boob!
    You could try introducing a cup, or trying a different bottle nipple.
    I wonder why you want to wean to formula at 7 months? I mean, I know there are reasons, but I encourage you to reconsider. It would save you a lot of money, for one thing! I have the benefit of hindsight here because I weaned my DS at 6 months old and I wish that I had not. He was sick more often, it was more expensive, and more of a PITA. Just something to consider...
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Smile Re: Started partial wean, won't take bottle anymore

Thanks for the reply Mollyb. I am actually going to try the sippy cup.
    The reason why I've been thinking more about this lately is because I would like to get pregnant again soon and I know that less breastfeeding equals more fertility success.

Default Re: Started partial wean, won't take bottle anymore

Most moms get their cycles back before 12 months even if they are BFing. Have you gotten your cycle back yet? If you are already menstruating/ovulating regularly, partial weaning won't affect your fertility.
    I have been posting like mad about this book, it seems, but I just read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility and I think the approach to self-monitoring your own fertility signs makes a lot of sense. It was recommended on these boards.
    Another non-LLL source on BFing/fertility issues is found here:
    Breastfeeding and Fertility
    HTH, although you may be aware of these issues already.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on