Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Never knew I'd be sentimental about poop

Default Never knew I'd be sentimental about poop

DS is 10 months and 23 days old, and just in the last week has he really started chowing down on some solids. So much so that his poops have gotten more and more solid and, well, grown up. (It is a whole new world of smells down there.)

Last night I was talking to DH about this change and I realized that we are probably past the era of sweet smelling breastfed poops. I even teared up thinking about how we might have had our last big (non-sick) diaper blowout.

Yeah. This motherhood ride is a TRIP. I never in a million years thought I would get sentimental about poop. Especially someone else's.

Add to this the planning we're starting to do for his first birthday party, and the fact that I just don't respond to the pump as well anymore, and you've got one sappy breastfeeding mama, LLLadies. Such a bittersweet journey.

Default Re: Never knew I'd be sentimental about

It is very bittersweet. It is sad because it is a sign he is growing up so fast and is no longer the tiny little newborn he once was. Soon he will be walking, running and going to school! My son is 6 mo and I feel the same way now that I am just starting to introduce BLS to him. It's okay to be sappy and grieve the ending of a beautiful era but it is also a time to rejoice and celebrate the fact that your LO is growing up to be his own little person! He still needs you, loves you and wants you all the same It is the beginning of a journey that you will make together.
    July 27 2011

It's that a funny thing. Awh. Your milk is still important to your baby!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*longtalltexan View Post
    DS is 10 months and 23 days old, and just in the last week has he really started chowing down on some solids. So much so that his poops have gotten more and more solid and, well, grown up. (It is a whole new world of smells down there.)

Last night I was talking to DH about this change and I realized that we are probably past the era of sweet smelling breastfed poops. I even teared up thinking about how we might have had our last big (non-sick) diaper blowout.

Yeah. This motherhood ride is a TRIP. I never in a million years thought I would get sentimental about poop. Especially someone else's.

Add to this the planning we're starting to do for his first birthday party, and the fact that I just don't respond to the pump as well anymore, and you've got one sappy breastfeeding mama, LLLadies. Such a bittersweet journey.
    Yes, yes and yes. I am going through this exact same thing, and recently made a similar post. DS is turning 1 in 2 days. I got a little sentimental when he started opening his mouth for solids, a little more so when I sent out the invites for his first birthday, and a little more sappy when he started taking his first steps.

But all of this was nothing compared to that first clay-like poop I saw, and the realization that I would never see another sweet yellow breastfed diaper from my baby. I CRIED. Like , not like . That diaper almost made me feel like I was wrong to feed him anything other than his milk. I guess I hadn't prepared myself for it. I hadn't, for lack of better words, savored that last breastfed diaper

It is funny that FF advocates always say, "motherhood is about more than how you feed your child." Of course. However, your and my feelings are a testament to the fact that there is no more intimate or instinctual part of motherhood than the act of breastfeeding, nourishing your baby in every way possible.

But this is the beginning of a new chapter for us. We have "run with endurance the race set before us " and are about to receive our prize: that is, toddler nursing! Here's to our success and many, many more months to come!
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

I just had this exact conversation with my husband this week. I told him that I missed our daughter's old poops as you would hear her every time cause it was so loud. I even kind of miss the blowouts as well. Crazy things to miss I know, but you miss what it symbolizes. It means more solids and independence from mommy. Glad to know that other people have similar thoughts.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...

i feel absolutely the same! we're doing blw so it's been a slow change but i realized the other day that i haven't seen a truly breastmilk-only poop on a long time. ah well. they grow up so fast!
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 4-14-2011 ♥♥♥♥
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 11-14-2013 ♥♥♥♥