Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to double milk supply

Default Need to double milk supply

I am getting desperate for help

My son is 4 weeks today and I have been pumping (medela hand pump) and BF and giving him formula since day 1. He had severe jaundice in the hospital and I was advised by the doctor to supplement with formula.
    My milk supply has not been regular probably due to the fact that I have been supplementing with formula but now i'm in a predicament. My son might be allergic and I want to increase my milk production and get him solely on breast milk. I have been putting him at breast every feed and pumping whenever I get the chance, but I know I need a more regular routine. I am able to pump 1-1.5 oz every 3 hours and my son has been eating about 3 oz every 3 hours. My question is: What is the best and fastest way to double my supply and ween my son off of formula? Thanks.

Default Re: Need to double milk supply

Hi there. Well, for starters, you should get a good electric pump. How much formula are you giving him and are you still nursing?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How about using a supplemental nursing system and pumping after every feed. Also, to make things easier, you don't need to clean pump parts after every session.

SNS: http://medelamobile.com/products/bre...ing-system-sns
    What type of pump do you have? A good pump is essential.

You need a better pump, first of all. Preferably a hospital grade pump, the kind that you can often rent. Or, if you can't get that, at least a double electric pump.

And then, step two, you need to pump a LOT. After every feeding if at all feasible or after MOST feedings if every one is not feasible. It will be a lot of work, but the good news is that while your supply increases, you can start weaning off of supplements and putting your baby to the breast more and pumping less. So it's not forever, it is probably just for a few weeks or month or two at the very most. It's a commitment, but if your baby has allergies to formula, it will REALLY be worth it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It's a commitment, but if your baby has allergies to formula, it will REALLY be worth it.
    It will really be worth it anyway. Formula fed babies are sick more often and the health benefits for you and your baby are numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    It will really be worth it anyway. Formula fed babies are sick more often and the health benefits for you and your baby are numerous.
    The allergies are just one more really compelling reason to try to wean off the supplements.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes. I am still nursing and pumping and formula feeding.
    I usually try to nurse at the beginning of the feeding and then give bottle, usually 2 oz. and if I can I will try to pump again at the end of the feed... this usually doesnt happen throughout the night though because i'm so tired. This is the hand pump I am using http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Harmony.../dp/B0006HBS1M

I was given a double pump from a friend but I felt like I was able to get out more milk with the hand pump.? Could that be true? I guess I will try the double pump again. This is the one that I was given: http://www.amazon.com/Ameda-Purely-Y...7538658&sr=1-1

Also, is it possible for me to pump too much? I don't want it to get worse.

What exactly are you afraid might get worse by pumping too much? Pumping too much should increase your supply. For some women, it increases it TOO MUCH. So that's a risk. But there's nothing else to be afraid of that I know of. Since your'e trying to double your supply, I wouldn't worry about that now.

Some women do have better luck with hand pumps, but not the majority. In general, double electric pumps are just so much faster and easier, and you can pump for a longer time on each breast bc you don't have to switch sides. Stimulating both breasts at once also tends to stimulate supply more - like it's sending the message to your brain that you have twins or something! (Again, this CAN go too far, but if that happens, you can back off.)

A couple thoughts on your electric - have you replaced any of the parts recently? They may be worn out by your friend's use. I don't have an Ameda, so I'm not sure if it's the same as my pump, but on my pump the little membranes needed to be replaced frequently or it would lose suction. Do you do breast compressions while pumping? I found that I pumped best when I really squeezed and massaged my breasts while pumping. Often if I did this a few minutes into a session, I could actually stimulate a second letdown.

I'd keep trying with the electric just because it is so much easier. But if you really get more from the hand pump, you're not alone - I've heard this from several other women as well. I always had good results with the handpump as well, although I preferred the convenience of a double pump.

You don't necessarily need to do the pumping ALL NIGHT, but I would recommend trying to get in one or two sessions between midnight and 6 a.m. because that tends to be a time of high supply for most women. You will get more milk if you pump then, and it's very stimulating for your supply, because night nursing/pumping actually increases breastfeeding hormones in your body for the rest of the day too.

You can call me JoMo!

You can't pump too much when trying to build supply, unless of course pumping is painful, in which case you need to tweak something in your set-up (pumping speed, shield size).

I strongly suggest getting a hospital-grade pump and using it all. the. time. It should give you an order of magnitude better results than either the manual pump or the Purely Yours. FTR, I used a Purely Yours and I consider it to be a good pump for a mom with an established supply who needs to pump 1-3 times per day, max. It is not a good pump for a mom who needs to increase supply. It just does not have the power. Particularly if it is used- and you say you got it from a friend, so if she used it first believe me when I say the motor will not have the power you want!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"