Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed, ready to give up - help!

Default Re: Disappointed, ready to give up - hel

with djs.mom. Based on that kellymom chart, I am unsure why your health care providers are so freaked out. Your baby is gaining weight, and doing so consistently. Can you tell us what they have said about your baby's weight gain? What exactly are they looking for? Sometimes docs and nurses have unreasonable expectations about weight gain and I am somewhat concerned that your care providers may be off-base. They also may not be familiar with the elimination patterns of breastfed infants- after 6 weeks, many babies poop just once a week. Though the "dry, seedy paste" poop you saw doesn't sound quite right to me.

Is it possible for you to see a different doctor? A second opinion might mean a lot in this situation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just wanted to say that I had the same problems with my son at that age. He wouldn't poop and had trouble gaining weight. I don't think you need to supplement. I had much more trouble with supply until some herbs started working around 3 months (goat's rue, I think I had a mild case of insufficient glandular tissue as my breast never changed during that pregnancy and were still at best a 32AA) however I don’t think you have this as your baby is gaining weight and mine wasn’t.

I pumped after every feeding with the best hospital rental pump and was giving it to him in a supplement device at the next feeding. I still had to give a little formula a few times a day at that point and I think that’s what made him stop pooping. He would eventually poop though, you wouldn’t believe the amount, 10 days maybe more in between. Once we finally got him off the formula around 10 weeks he started pooping regularly. The best thing I did was go and weigh him every week on the same day in the same outfit and diaper. Then I could see he was gaining weight which I believe was suppose to be minimum 7oz per week. We did not go to the Dr for weights, I also saw a horrible nurse there that tried to derail our breastfeeding, but went to a breast feeding supply store (where they have a lactation consultant I saw and we could talk for free in the store) that had a baby scale.

Trust yourself and make sure she’s gaining something every week. My lactation consultant was the one that recommend the weekly weights. That’s important for a baby less than 6 weeks that’s not pooping because pooping daily is a sign of gaining weight. They can gain weight without pooping daily but you have watch them more carefully and make sure they are gaining.
    DS 11/25/2008 until 27 months

Now DD born 2/13/2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karen79k View Post
    r. Then I could see he was gaining weight which I believe was suppose to be minimum 7oz per week. We did not go to the Dr for weights, I also saw a horrible nurse there that tried to derail our breastfeeding, but went to a breast feeding supply store (where they have a lactation consultant I saw and we could talk for free in the store) that had a baby scale.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could jump in, but I think that this number -- 7 oz -- is too high. Sure, it can be that high or higher, but I think some babies grow only 3-4 oz a week and are fine. The key is to see growth on the curve that MommaL posted, so you could do the math from there to see what your weekly "goal" should be.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I think it can be appropriate for a breastfed baby to gain as little as 5 oz per week. My son generally gained about 7-8 oz though. But if my child was not pooping AND only gaining 3-4 oz per week, yes I would be concerned. Although the formula supplementation does change things...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Poopijg daily is not a sign of gaining weight. The only sure sign of weight gain is a change on the same scale

My second baby pooped very rarely, but he gained weight at an insane pace. But he pooped, after his meconim passed, only every 10-14 days. And was 20 lbs at 5 months. And then he fell off the chart becUse he was crawling
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Was in a somewhat similar situation with weight gain issues and recommendation was to pump n feed and supplement formula as needed. Slower growth but we are trying our best to either nurse and then top off with pumped milk to ensure she gets some strength.

My LO didn't poop for 4 days - we tried rubbing castor oil on her tummy and that seemed to help a lot. She pooped an hr after that, not sure if that helps. You can find castor oil in Earth Fare. If you can find a betel leaf, rub castor oil and then place the leaf, basically helps with the moment of the bowels as we were told.

I agree with the suggestion to find another doctor and get a second opinion... This forum is a great place to find out if other people have dealt with something similar and what their experience was, but we really can't give you a definitive answer about what's going on with your baby.

I've been sitting here with my big stack of books and a calculator, and while I don't have very much information about your baby's weight gain history and I never trust myself where numbers are involved , here's what I've come up with:

According to Mohrbacher, average weight gain for a baby 0-3 months is 141-198g per week, or 20-28g per day. Lawrence says that after the first week, baby should gain 15-30g per day. As far as I can tell (and you'll probably want to doublecheck whether it's close or not), your baby has been gaining an average of around 17g per day. So maybe below average, but within Lawrence's range.

How often was your baby pooping before you started the formula?

How many wet diapers does she have in 24 hours?

Do you know if the placenta was fully intact when they removed it?

Supplementing with your pumped milk instead of formula is a great idea. And please do consider getting a second opinion. Maybe it's because of the formula, but it really isn't typical for a newborn to go 2 weeks without pooping. The average is 4 stools a day. So while I don't think you need to panic, it's not something to ignore.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Karen it's not a new born she's five weeks. I think if she was exclusively breast fed anytime after 4weeks when the digestive tract starts to matures you can see the holding of the poop. But the fact that she is supplementing and the consistency she described makes me think it's not normal holding.

Way too lazy for formula

The color and consistency of peanut butter is normal for and EBF child who has been holding poop. And that is not constipated poop. (And there is usually a ton of it) But if its small darker amounts with less moisture.....I'd be concerned. It's its' the color and consistency of rabbit poop you have constipation.

Way too lazy for formula

Default Replies and update

Here are the replies to some of your questions:

My placenta was taken out in many small pieces after my baby's birth. It was a horrible thing what I went through, I have to say! :-S

If I compare with kellymom's chart, my baby's development shows a line which in the beginning is going up but then it goes horizontally. So it is true that my baby needs to gain more weight if we want to see the line going up again...

And some updates:

My baby has been pooping a lot since yesterday!!! Finally!! And without any suppositories or anything. The first poop was very "violent", it seemed, she was crying a lot, but after that she seems to be happy again and she poops normally. And I'm happy too! Never thought a poo could make me so happy!!

And I spoke to the doctor this morning, he told me that it's obvious that formula might be solving one part of the problem (the weight) but it's creating others (constipation, nipple confusion), so we agreed on me trying to supplement with my own milk and have the baby weighed weekly to monitor her development. But let's see if I can make it: As I mentioned, I'm pumping a lot but obtaining very little volumes of milk. I wanted to ask you about this; how much milk should I expect to get after 20 min pumping with an electrical pump? And also, is it OK to pump as I breast feed? As if I had twins or something... Hopefully that will increase my supply?

Thanks, girls. Your advice and support is very much appreciated! :-)
    Last edited by @llli*yaiza; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:17 AM.