Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed, ready to give up - help!

Default Re: Disappointed, ready to give up - hel

I think that supplementing with your own milk is a better option for sure! I still think the best thing to do is leave her at the breast. But formula DOES in fact cause constipation sometimes. So getting her back to 100% breastmilk if where I would start to deal with that issue. You looked up her growth curve on Kellymom?

Way too lazy for formula

About the poop issue: when my LO was that age he would go a really long time in between poops and so my ped told me that if he seemed constipated to give him 2oz of some kind of juice (I did apple) just once per day until he had a bm. This usually only took one time of jucie and he would poop within 24hrs.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Her baby is 5 weeks old. I would try going back to just breastmilk before giving juice to a baby that young.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, no juices yet. We will try with a glycerin mini-suppositorium tonight, hopefully that will help her. It's obvious that she's suffering :-(

How is obvious?

Way too lazy for formula

She turns all red when she is trying to push and then she starts crying. Also, she cries like crazy everytime she farts - and she does it a lot lately. In addition, the last couple of days she's been crying more than usual and very strongly, nothing seems to comfort her, not even offering her the breast :-(
    She had a little poo earlier today, something insignificant considering the amount of days gone since her last time. It was a dry, seedy paste. I'm sure she has more of that inside, hopefully she'll get rid of it soon.
    I'm gonna try to stop giving her formula, but I believe it will be a challenge: I've been pumping all afternoon and I only got 45 ml of milk so far... I'm exhausted - and so are my breasts! Is this normal?

Don't you already have a stash? Based on what you are saying....lack of moisture in the poo it probably is INDEED constipation. Which is caused by the formula. I would nurse nurse nurse and any supplementing that is done be with your milk. And even that I would only use to Top off feeds. You should begin all feeds at the breast so that you get all the stimulation.

Way too lazy for formula

The thing is I was nursing non-stop (check my previous posts...) until the nurse told me the baby wasn't gaining enough weight. It seems my milk isn't enough for her, but why would this be so?? That's why I started this latest post, because I'm so frustrated - and worried, I have to say. I want to breastfeed, but I also want to be sure my baby is growing as she should. I hope the pumping will help me increasing my supply - if that's where the problem is! :-S

I see what's going on. But mostly it seems like self doubt and uneducated health providers as the real problem. Your baby IS gaining. Just not at the rate they want. But on a consistent curve yes? And you checked the link Mommal gave? But with the supplementation you have constipation. All the pump is doing is trying to fool your body into thinking you ARE nursing. But why not actually nurse and if you think the baby isn't getting enough from you at that point top off the feed with more of your milk? To ease the constipation AND get you back in track in terms of production?

Way too lazy for formula

I think you should find another doctor, hopefully one that is breastfeeding friendly. I would start over. Take a few days and wear your baby topless and with her in only a diaper. Nurse constantly. And see how that goes. I didn't think you had an issue from the beginning and now with the constipation breastmilk is your best option.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn