Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sterilizing a Manual Pump?

Default Sterilizing a Manual Pump?

A friend of mine gave me her manual pump that was used a handful of times. I seem to recall reading somewhere that since you can sterilize all the parts in a manual... it's not as big a deal to get a preowned manual (since there is no motor, etc like in an electric one).

Any links, confirmation, hearsay on the matter?
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Default Re: Sterilizing a Manual Pump?

I used an Avent Isis for like 5 years, and yes, very possible and very easy to sterilize. I used those steamer bags, but if you have a bottle sterilizer, you can use that. I also boiled it when I was out of bags. Look up whatever brand it is and see if they say it can be boiled first or if there are any parts that should not be boiled.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Yep. What Susan said. It should be no big deal to sterilize a manual - and thus, there is less concern with hand-me-downs.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.