Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding on demand still??

Default Feeding on demand still??

Hi ladies, just wondering what everyone else does. I've tried breast feeding and was told to feed on demand but it wasn't for me, had one feeding session that went on for 2hrs and with toddler running around, is not ideal! So started exclusively pumping and health visitor said to still feed on demand. Is this what everyone else does?? At first I tried feeding every 3hrs but yesterday, my baby was so unsettled, I was feeding him every less but every 1.5 hrs, and then there was the constant heating up milk and washing and sterilising of bottles! Am I doing something wrong? Is my milk not satisfying him? Any advice appreciated!!

Default Re: Feeding on demand still??

Honestly I'd say try breastfeeding him again. The older they get the less time they take. EPing is NOT easy just ask Susan BFing takes so much less time and energy than constantly washing and preparing bottles. My advice is give it one more shot and try for a few weeks. The first couple of months are the hardest and then its easy Also LO wanting to eat that often is extremely normal. And even expected. You could also see an IBCLC to help make sure latch and everything is correct. Good luck mama!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Its not your milk.
    Could you try strapping a baby to you with a sling or a wrap? Then you could chase your toddler while nursing and not need to pump and clean bottles!
    Is this your first breastfed baby?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Try an LLL meeting, see how other mums make it work. Breastfeeding on demand really is the only way to go. Your baby needs fed when he is hungry and comfort nursed when he is lonely/hurt/sad etc... The more you do it the easier it gets. And Yes! It is a lot, but if you give into it then its really an amazingly beautiful thing.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Mama, babies know when they are hungry. They don't watch the clock, and neither should their mamas. Feeding on demand is best, whether you nurse or bottle-feed. You tried a schedule and you figured this out yourself: the baby spent a lot of time hungry and unsettled. Was that really better than nursing him for 2 hours? The reason your baby wants to eat frequently is not because your milk is somehow unsatisfying: it's because frequent feeding is the normal eating pattern for a young baby. Infant tummies are tiny, and frequent meals keep blood sugar nice and even. You shouldn't expect a baby to fall into a pattern of eating infrequent, large meals until he is well into childhood: even toddlers need frequent snacks to get them through the day!

I am with the PPs who recommended trying to nurse the baby directly again. It is more time-consuming than exclusive pumping when you have a sleepy, non-mobile newborn, but Pumping rapidly becomes more challenging than nursing. Here's why:
    - Nursing gets faster as the baby grows. But the time the baby is a few months old, he or she can often get a full feeding in just 5-10 minutes at the breast. Pumping, on the other hand, never gets easier or faster. If it takes you 10-20 minutes to produce a bottle today, it's going to take you the same amount of time in 6 months, but you'll be trying to balance your need to pump with the needs of 2 mobile and challenging kids! What do you do when you need to pump but the baby has crawled out of eyeshot?
    - Nursing public is easy compared to pumping in public, and if you want to get out of the house someday for longer than an hour or so you will need to pump in public!
    - When you nurse the baby, maintaining a good milk supply is easy. Nurse on demand and you will make the proper amount of milk. Maintaining a good supply when exclusively pumping is HARD. Many EP mamas ultimately struggle with supply, due to the challenges of finding enough time in the day to pump and because pumping is not as good at maintaining milk supply as nursing is.
    - Milk in the breast is always clean, fresh, at the right temperature, and immediately available. Bottles can fall on the floor, sour in the heat, get forgotten on the counter, and they take time to produce. If you nurse, you don't have to stand in the kitchen at 2 am, trying to fix a bottle.
    - Nursing is a great mothering tool. The breast soothes babies when they are cranky or hurting, and it helps them get to sleep when nothing else works.
    - Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can combine breast and bottle in a way that works for you.
    - Nursing is rewarding. The pump will never smile at you while you use it.

If you decide to give nursing another go- and I truly hope that you will- this link can help you get baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; January 29th, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mama, if you thought breastfeeding with a newborn and toddler is hard, just you wait.

EPing is extremely difficult when you have just a baby to worry about. Add in more kids --I have four -- and it's super challenging.

All I did for the first 12 weeks of my fourth son's life, born unable to effectively breastfeed, was pump, then feed, then repeat. My kids ran amok, the toddler messed with my pump. They knocked it over several times. They scrounged for themselves out of the fridge -- yes, my six year old fixed lunch for everyone several times. My house was incredibly dirty.

Why?

Because to effectively EP -- and it does not work for everyone -- you must pump. A LOT. 120 minutes every 24 hours. Basically, that is 15-20 minutes, or until you just get drops, every 2 hours around the clock. Including at night. My letdown was really slow for probably the first 8 weeks, so I was pumping longer than that. Then the baby needs to eat, which takes another 30 minutes. By the time I got the baby to go to sleep, it was time to pump again. Put the baby down, which woke baby right up, and it was hell on earth for months.

I was able to drop sessions after a while, very carefully, and maintain a good output. But it was an obsession. I thought about milk and when to pump and where I was going to pump -- with 4 kids, we have lots of things to do all the time, and pumping in public is difficult all.the.time. I still think about it more than I ever thought about nursing.

I usually have a lot of milk, yet, even with the best pumps out there, and all my knowledge, I struggled to establish a supply.

It cost me a fortune between pump rental fees, the needed equipment and storage bags. Like US$2000 for the first year. More than all my other kids combined!

And it is just not as nice as breastfeeding GETS. Yes, it is hard at the beginning, but pumping is a short term gain, long term loss process. You will always need to spend basically 2 hours at the pump every.single.day to maintain a supply. Eventually, a baby will become efficient at the breast and be able to nurse and fill up in a few minutes.

What would you rather spend more time with...your baby or your pump?

Please do not make this choice.

ETA: and yes, I fed on demand, and I fed to satiety for baby. And yes, that meant that sometimes, I spent 5 minutes feeding the baby and then fed him again an hour later. Because I wanted my baby to have an experience as close to a breastfed baby as possible, because breastfeeding is normal. Bottles are not.

ETA2: and it is just now where I feel like life is getting back to normal. Im still pumping, but I only need to pump every 6 hours now, and so it still takes a lot of time, but I have blocks of time between them. However, it would be much easier if I could nurse the kid for a minute, get him happy, instead of sit and feed him and then sit and pump for an hour. And going out...I overslept this AM, we are supposed to be going to church, but I have to pump. And the AM session takes a full hour to express. Grrr.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; January 29th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Please listen to Susan she has been thru a lot over the last year to provide Gav with the nutrition the he deserves. She knows how hard it is to be an Eper.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude