Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Would this boost my supply too much?

Default Would this boost my supply too much?

So I've always had OS and had to block feed quite a bit to keep it down and it seems to jump up with even a little extra nursing. My question is do you think if I pumped just once a week or so do you think it would boost it too much for A2? She is 5 months. The reason I ask this is because my sister is a teacher and I watch her LO (8 months) 1-2 times a week for 5 hours and she is having trouble with pumping enough for him. Usually when I have him I just nurse him and then give him whatever milk she does have and if she doesn't have any I nurse him and then give him some of the food she has for him. So it's not too big of a deal at my place because I can just nurse him if he needs and this hasn't seemed to effect my supply too much as far as it becoming overwhelming for A2. The problem is my mom watches him 1-2 times a week apart from what I watch him and so if my sister doesn't have enough milk for him then he is really fussy for my mom. My mom had him today and I had a couple bags left in my freezer stash that I gave her for him to have if my sister didn't bring any. Well he has been sick lately and not wanting any solids at all and my sister didn't bring any milk today so my mom gave him one bag (about 5 ounces) and an hour later he was acting really hungry again so she gave him the second bag (about 6 ounces ) And he ate it all. And that was the last of my freezer stash. Anyway, so I was wondering how often you guys think I could pump without it boosting my supply too much as its hard on A2 to keep up with when it gets too much. Thanks and sorry for the long story!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Would this boost my supply too much?

Once a week pumping should be fine. Even once a day pumping, if you do it at the same time every day (mornings are a high supply time for many moms), should be no prob.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Once a week shouldn't be too stimulating, at 5 months in. Alternately, how about trying hand expression? It's supposed to be less stimulating to supply than the sucking action of the pump. You could probably do it a few times a week without making your supply go bonkers.

It's really wonderful that you've been able to help your sister out this way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good point - a simple hand pump might be a good idea too, it's less stimulating than a double electric.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This is such a great thing! I love that you and your sis are co-nursing your nephew -- you kids will be milk-siblings! I wish more people were ok with co nursing.

I second the hand expressing creating less oversupply. Pumping still drives up my supply at almost a year. That said, why not just pump for him once a day? It probably would only take you 5 min of pumping or so once you got the routine.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

I do have a hand pump I'll have to try just that. Or just hand expression good to know! Haha yes its so nice that we are both totally fine with nursing each other babies. Unfortunately A2 refuses to nurse from her. She is a really picky nurser. But her LO is great with me and it has created a special bond between me and my nephew Haha and I sent about 200 oz of milk to my sister in law for her twins (they are in Canada far from me). I pumped a lot so the twins woudn't have to be supplemented with formula for the first little bit as she was convinced she wouldn't have enough milk. Which did contribute to my OS issues and which is why I stopped pumping completely and block feeding. But now we are all regulated They are coming to visit again in May and I'd love to have some more milk to give them, even if it's just a little. So perhaps I will try pumping once a week and see what happens. I may even wake up during one of A2's longer sleep stretches and pump since that wouldn't matter to her feeding. I just know how extremely important breastmilk is and wish I could feed the twins too! Haha honestly if I had to I could probably feed all 4 babies! hahahaha. And after A2 is weaned, whenever that is, I plan on pumping as much as I can so I can donate milk To whoever needs it. I know if I didn't have enough milk that it would mean the world to me if someone did that for me.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I pumped for a friend when my third was over 6 months, and it didn't overstimulate my OS, and I pumped about 4 times a day. I'd say you will be Ok. Just watch your LO and see how it goes. You can always cut back.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!