Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excrutiating nipple pain

Default Excrutiating nipple pain

Hello-
    I have a 5 day old DD and am having really bad nipple pain. I have a 3 year old DD who was BF also, and I had a lot of trouble with her latch, especially on my right side. Now the pain I am feeling with this baby is mostly on my right side. I got some blisters in the hospital, but those are all healed now. My nipples look a little pinker than normal, and I have a crack on the top of my right nipple that hurts so bad especially when she latches on. Also, just today I have started getting really deep breast pain. On top of that, dealing with vasospasming (had this with DD#1 also.) I am really painfully engorged, too, and baby just can't seem to keep up with the milk. She only takes 1 side per feeding and I feel like I am going to burst. I am starting to feel really run-down and am really discouraged with the pain again. Latch-on on my right side is toe-curling, grit your teeth and force yourself to breath kind of pain. Sorry if this is really scattered, I am just over tired and in pain. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Thanks...

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green

Default Re: Excrutiating nipple pain

I'd really see an ibclc, it is a lot to deal with alone. I'd also go to an LLL meeting so you have support to continue despite the hardship. It may be a latch issue. Check out this diagram and see if it helps:http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-WL . These videos help too: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=videos . For engorgement heat, warm compress, gentle massage help. Also put a green cabbage leaf in your bra until it wilts, odd but it works. Only do for 2 days. It gets better! You are doing what is best for your babe, stick in there. You can do this, you ARE doing this.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

If the pain is the whole time, then you need a little hands on help, as something isn't quite right with the latch, and we can't see what over the Internet. From what you describe, something is off with the latch on that one side, which is common, so you might need just a little help over the hump.

If its the first 30-60 seconds, it's the 60 second sizzle, and yes, it hurts. But as baby grows, it gets better. I tell myself to gut out that first week, between this and the afterpains, and it will be better. If it is not better at 7-10 days, something is wrong.

Meanwhile, don't forget to do the "nipple sandwich" and help baby get as much areola as possible, support your breast and work to heal the cracks. Hydrogel pads are expensive, but they help. All-purpose Nipple Ointment, a script you have to get from your doc or midwife, is really helpful too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with pps. The first step is making sure the latch is correct. I also wanted to add that with the crack and deep breast pain, you might be at risk of either a bacterial infection (mastitis) or thrush. If you start having flu-like symptoms or a fever, it might be mastitis. If you start having deep burning pains in your ducts, that might be thrush. I'd look into an APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) script if you start seeing these signs.
    Keeping up with your rest, nutrition, and hydration is super important.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

See an IBCLC if you can, or at least someone who is capable of assessing your baby accurately for tongue tie. Tongue tie runs in families, so when I hear a mom had painful latch with multiple kids I think of that. A baby with tt or lip tie simply cannot latch normally. Luckily, there is a remedy. It may not be tt at all, of course, but you may want to rule it out.
    Also you can try laid back positions (aka biological nurturing) I have seen this type of positioning work wonders with latch pain.

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen 2 IBCLC's and neither one of them thought she has tongue tie. I got a script for the APNO from my doc (who is also a IBCLC). Is it just for helping with the cracks or infection, too? She started me on Bactrim because she is pretty sure I have a bacterial infection. I hate taking abx, but is there any real way to tell if it is an infection? I am still having burning, shooting pain in between feedings too. She took a sample of breastmilk but haven't heard back from the lab. Other issues- I feel like DD is flicking my nipple somehow when she's nursing. I know she is holding back because I have massive oversupply and OALD again this time, and I feel like it's affecting her latch. Any suggestions?

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green

APNO has a topical anti-biotic in it, so that helps prevent infection, or maybe helps with a slight topical infection. But if you have a full blown bacterial infection oral anti-biotics are what is usually recommended.

My understanding is a culture can be done to test for a bacterial infection of the nipple. I thought a swab was taken of the nipple but maybe that is what the breast milk is being tested for? Sorry I am not sure.

Did the IBCLC's watch you nurse and offer tips for positioning etc? This is vital, and sometimes it takes more than one or two appointments when it s a tricky case. Is the bad crack starting to heal, which would show that the latch is getting better?

OALD can cause a baby to clamp. So working on that may help. here is a good article with tips on how to help baby handle the flow, I would not suggest block feeding at this point: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I know it hurts to nurse but it really is true that very frequent nursing will help tremendously with OALD, engorgement, all that. And since a baby has much more difficulty latching onto an engorged breast, keeping the breasts as soft as possible helps with a painful latch as well. If you cannot stand the pain of nursing that frequently, try gentle hand expression to get out a little milk just to keep from feeling so engorged.

This is very early days, which is prime time for sore nipples, engorgement, all that. I know it is hard to not get discouraged but I promise nursing will not always be such a struggle.