Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only Nursing 5 min at a time?

Question Only Nursing 5 min at a time?

My LO will be 5 months on the 15th and the wetting of the diapers are just fine. She has been doing this for a while but it is very annoying I guess you could say. Her feedings throughout the evening and sometimes the afternoon are becoming to be about every hour. She either nurses for 5 min or so on one side, maybe both sides or she will continue to suck a few times then pull away and continue to do that. I am worried that she is not getting any of the hind milk just because she is only nursing for a few min and wanting to nurse so often. I am not sure if it has anything to do with my supply or if it is something with her. Anyone have any suggestions to get her to nurse fully and stay latched on throughout the feedings?
    AdriAnn born 6/24/09
    Kayleigh born 9/15/11 with its struggles, but worth it all!

Default Re: Only Nursing 5 min at a time?

not sure if this is what's happening for you, but a lot of babies get more efficient at nursing around your LO's age and shorten their feedings. so she might be getting a lot actually in that five minutes.

also there might be a growth spurt going on which is causing the increase in feedings in the afternoon/evening. also some babies cluster feed in the evenings (like filling up the tank for the night so to speak).

If she's pulling off because she might be full that's one thing and I don't know that I would do anything but what you're doing (feeding on demand) until she regulates her intake herself. BUT if she's pulling off b/c she's distracted, which a lot of babies also do at this age, you could try nursing in a dark quiet room, soothing music, or nursing lying down and that might help keep her more focused.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

That sounds really normal at that age. As they get older they learn to drain the breast faster and therefore shorten the feedings.

Also, they start noticing how cool the world is around them. They will do their little "pop on! pop off! pop on!" routine while also trying to scratch your boob, pull your glasses away and pull out your hair... I found that taking my DS into a dark, calm room and nursing kept him more focused on eating. Some moms have tried nursing necklaces to keep the baby distracted.
    July 27 2011

Thanks for the reassurance and suggestions. I will try to switch up my nursing surroundings. I feel a little better that it is somewhat normal too.
    AdriAnn born 6/24/09
    Kayleigh born 9/15/11 with its struggles, but worth it all!

It's not just somewhat normal. It's totally normal! Many babies prefer frequent, short nursing sessions to infrequent "meals", and by 5 months they can often get all they need in just 5 minutes. Frequency often jumps up when baby starts to teeth, and at 5 months most babies are at least pre-teething. Just do what you can to roll with it- it's normal and it's probably just a stage. If it's interfering with your evenings, you might want to switch up your routine a bit. I always struggled with dinner prep- it's hard to chop up chicken when you have a baby who wants to be latched on at the same time. So I switched to doing most of my dinner prep during the morning/early afternoon. That way I could just throw it in the pot and serve it, instead of having to prep and cook simultaneously.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You have reached distractible baby stage, it changes in a couple months, again, lol. Many moms find nursing necklaces very helpful during this stage. I suggest you look them ipup.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.