Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I do before baby 2 increase mlk

Default Re: What can I do before baby 2 increase

Breast shells. The hard work you did with EPing last time around may have broken some of the subcutaneous adhesions, allowing your nipples to evert more than last time. So you might well have a better experience this time around.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...verted-nipples directions on how to use breast shells.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you haven't yet, check out Dr. Morton's video out of Stanford: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html. Essentially, Dr. Morton found that emptying the breasts of colostrum in the first three days postpartum as often as possible -- by breastfeeding AND pumping with breast compressions at least 8 x's per day -- will bring in the milk earlier, increase supply, and maintain the supply for longer.

Best wishes and lots of encouragement!

Thank you Everyone for all of the help and I will check out the sites. It just seems like not that long ago that I put all of that away. lol

I had flat nipples when Emily was born, and around the 8th month of our pregnancy, the adhesions turned them into these awful door knobs... Emily couldn't stretch them out at all and at 4 days pp was still not getting even a gram of milk out on her own. I fed her at the breast for those 4 days with feeding tubes, but with the colostrum she would just slide all over the place...Then when my milk came in (I know, everyone's heard the story) I couldn't imagine feeding her with those 10ml tubes (not thinking in my sleep-deprived state that they might make bigger ones...duh.) so I put the milk in a bottle. And sadly ended up EPing - by the time my nipples looked normal and she was able to latch, she nursed 3 times and decided she wasn't that into it...

How are your nipples now since you were EPing? I know after 16 months mine now are permanently out. Like I'm gonna have to throw out all of my old bras and buy the padded kind just to mash them down and smooth them out under my clothes. I'm not waiting very long to try again for another, but if the same thing happens to my nipples during pregnancy, I'm just going to use the pump to bring them out again. I hear very conflicting things about nipple stimulation causing contractions. Wearing breast shells for 3 weeks did nothing but make my nipples look like some sort of sea creature when I took them off - I think the actual opening was so large that they didn't stretch the important adhesions that made them too thick for Emily to flatten and get milk out of. I have a few ducts that come out underneath on the areola, but the real squirters are right in the middle of my nipple.

Sorry for the crazy amounts of TMI, hopefully it's helpful...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!