Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I do before baby 2 increase mlk

Default What can I do before baby 2 increase mlk

My 2nd child is due April 1st. I had a rough time with supply 1st time around, I EP for 9.5 months 45 min sessions but that was nov 09- july 10, used Fenugreek and I have a medela freestyle. Are the Hospital pumps better that you can rent? Is there anything other than drinking enough water to boost supply before the next one arrives. With a toddler I just won't have the extra time to give to pumping as I did last time.
    Please give me some suggestions.
    Thank You

Default Re: What can I do before baby 2 increase

I would say a great start with nursing is a good way. And that means getting the baby on your breast as soon after delivery as possible. Keeping baby with you, preferably skin to skin as often as possible. And not pumping. Let your baby dictate how much milk you make. Avoid pacifiers and bottles and nurse on demand. Cosleep (which does does not necessarily mean bed sharing) and encourage a good latch.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Like the PP said, I would try to establish a good nursing relationship and rely on that to regualte your supply. Nursing is the BEST to maintain and regulate supply. Pumps, fenugreek, herbs- all of those will not work as well as nursing.

Why did you EP with your first?
    July 27 2011

I have inverted nipples and spent months last time using shield and trying many other things, with help from LL legue person and nurses at the hospital. It did not work for me.
    So I had to EP or nothing at all.
    I did do alot of skin to skin and held the baby while I pumped.
    Thank you for your suggestions, I wish that would work for me.

Is there anything that can be done previous to delevery? I read you should not take Fenugreek till after delivery.

I don't know of anything you can do or even should do. Your milk shouldn't be stimulated until birth so I'm not sure how you could increase prior.

I am not sure anything than can be done before you deliver. Once your baby is here you should still try and see if you can get a successful latch- possibly with a shield like you used before. If that is not possible and it turns out you have to EP again the best thing I can offer is to make positively sure you pump with a hospital grade pump. Pump every 3 hours for 15-20 minutes. Hospital grade pumps are the better than pumps you can buy at the store but it is more expensive (Here it is $67 a month). Use the hospital grade for as long as financially possible and then look into getting a dual electric store bought pump. EPing is super difficult- as you already know - but there are mamas here that can support you along the way.
    July 27 2011

I didn't think there was but it doesn't hurt to ask. It was a long hard struggle with many tears.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*glad2bamom View Post
    I didn't think there was but it doesn't hurt to ask. It was a long hard struggle with many tears.
    I bet it was. EPing is so hard. Maybe start making some phone calls to find an LC that has experience with inverted nipples. Start a thread here asking if anyone has any experience. The best tool you can have is being as prepared as possible. Maybe it will be possible to nurse.

Look into breast shells NOW to see if you can break down the adhesions and help get your nipples there.

I would try again. And I would try HARD to nurse and not EP. Like call an IBCLC and get some help now and get things lined up for when baby is born, to get an action p,an going. You know how hard it is, and it is harder when you have more kids. It's been a feat that I have EPed for over 12 months now with four kids.

Yes, a rental pump is better than a Freestyle. Or buy a Limerick pump. And pump every 2-3 hours for a total of 120 minutes in 24 hours, for at least 3 months. Exhausting, yes, but it gives you a good leg to stand on later.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My friend has inverted nipples and was eventually able to nurse. I struggled with flat nipples. Here's a link from Dr Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...verted-nipples.

I have never used them, but there are shells you can buy to draw out the nipple. Also, google the nipple sandwich technique. Babies feed on the aereola, so you can make this work! And it is worth it, much easier than pumping. IF you cannot get a good latch initially, pump every two hours with a hospital grade pump to maintain supply. Pumping works better than herbs, etc.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!