Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 16 MO in FT daycare - How much BM?

Default 16 MO in FT daycare - How much BM?

Hello ladies,
    I have been working full-time since my son was 4 1/2 months old but have been able to pump well. He is now 16 months old and I am sending him in with 10 oz. of pumped milk plus his meals/snacks for the day. My pediatrician said that sending him in with 5 oz of milk and 5 oz of water is fine and that he doesn't need that extra cup of milk. Is this the case? Does anyone have experience/advice for a situation like this? I figure I have it, don't mind pumping at work, so why not give it, you know?
    Thanks so much!

Default Re: 16 MO in FT daycare - How much BM?

That's a weird response from your pediatrician. And wow, great job pumping mama! I couldn't keep pumping (mentally) for either of my two much past a year.

How often does he nurse? According to kellymom.com, as long as he's nursing 4 times a day he doesn't need any milk supplements. So, I guess what I'm saying, is that your doctor could be right - but if you are able to pump it and he wants to drink it, I think that's great!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, I like my pediatrician but he doesn't quite get a long-term BF, Bed-sharing, CD'ing family. We are a bit different from his textbook cases . . . Thanks so much for your response and for the congrats. I used to pump 3x a day at work but it is only 2x since October 2011. The time has flown!!!

He nurses at 5:30pm, 8:30pm and then again at around 2:30/3:00am, sometimes again at 5:00am-ish. So, maybe 3-4 times a day or so but it is whenever he wants on the weekends. He is pretty big & chubby though, 35 inches and 37 lbs. already so I wasn't sure if it made sense to taper off bit. He has no problems eating solids at all but I just don't want him to lose out on the good BM if he doesn't have to . . .

He will lean out as he gets older.

ETA: Also, if you remove the milk, he will just eat more solids to compensate for those calories.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Ok, I am going to keep sending him in with the milk! Both cups always come back empty so I think he enjoys it. Plus, there are days when he doesn't really want to eat whatever it is that I've packed for lunch/snack so at least he is getting something nutritious on those days.

Thanks again for your help on this!

You're a rockstar.
    Tracie

Mommy to