Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing vs Comforting?

Default BFing vs Comforting?

Hello,
    I 'm wondering, what's the difference between the sucking technique when sucking for comfort, as opposed to the way the baby sucks when she's actually eating? My sweet daughter, when she starts a feedig session, it is clear that she is swallowing, but after some time she goes on doing something that feels different. It hurts, and lately she can do it for hours, specially in the evening. If I take her off the breast, she cries, it goes without saying... Is there anything I can do about this comfort sucking so it's less painful?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: BFing vs Comforting?

She could be slipping down and thus sucking on the nipple only, which hurts as the nipple rubs on the hard palate. Relatch baby when this happens.

How old is baby?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When the latch becomes painful, take baby off and relatch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I'm doing that now - this is a constant battle!! She cries and cries as if the world was tumbling down, ah!
    And my baby is now one month old :-)

Try another position. Try laid back positioning. (aka biological nurturing) If you are nursing in an upright or even sidelying position, gravity may be working against you to pull baby off the nipple. Basically, try anything, there is no one right way to position a baby to nurse.

"comfort' nursing is normal and good, but painful nursing is not!

Some babies pull off into a shallow latch or clamp because they are getting too much milk, but they want to keep nursing for comfort but not be getting so much milk. If this sounds possible you might want to look into forceful letdown and what to do about it.