Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sympathy

Default Sympathy

We woke up this morning to a puddle in our kitchen and found our freezer had broken. All the breastmilk is completely thawed. So sad about it. No one else understands. So do you think it would still be ok to give to ds? It is thawed but cold. I wouldn't give it to dd she hasn't had a bottle yet anyway but thought maybe for my 2 year old I could.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Default Re: Sympathy

I think you have 24-48hours to used thawed milk.

Way too lazy for formula

I am so sorry. BM is liquid gold and I am sure that you have a mess to clean up from whatever else you had in the freezer.

If you don't want to give it to your DD, I don't see why you couldn't give it to your 2 year old. The basic rule is to used defrosted milk within 24 hours, so depending on how much you have, he might not have time to drink it all. However, you could also use it for baking in that time or maybe make some breastmilk yogurt.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I am so sorry. I have nightmares about what just happened to you. I once left out about 15 oz of milk overnight, and thought I was going to stab myself in the eye. You have my sympathy and s
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

24 hours to use it. Feed it, bake with it, something, and then store the food in the freezer for baby.

This was my biggest fear with a freezer full of frozen gold. I made DH buy a generator in case the power went out. I discovered someone had left the door open for a few hours one day and just about flipped my lid
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

AHHHHH!!!! I'm so sorry! I would have thrown myself on the puddle and sobbed. Try to use and bake with as much as possible.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I've said it before and I'll say it again: whoever came up with that old "Don't cry over spilled milk" saying was not a woman who lost a freezer stash or who just tipped a 5 oz bottle of milk onto a freshly shampooed carpet (like I did, way back when).

So sorry, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

UGH! Sooooo sorry! I have cried over wasting a "mere" 2 oz that spilled when a collection bottle fell over. Last summer hubby accidentally knocked the plug out of our garage chest freezer (the outlet was a bit wonky, and he bumped the cord when digging around to get out some tools) and we lost quite a lot of BM. I wasn't surprised that I cried, but hubby cried too! I so understand your pain and I'm so sorry!

I definitely think you should use it up! Give it to your 2 year old. Make some treats with it and freeze them for later. Can't wait to hear what you do with it!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

s

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicola View Post
    UGH! Sooooo sorry! I have cried over wasting a "mere" 2 oz that spilled when a collection bottle fell over. Last summer hubby accidentally knocked the plug out of our garage chest freezer (the outlet was a bit wonky, and he bumped the cord when digging around to get out some tools) and we lost quite a lot of BM. I wasn't surprised that I cried, but hubby cried too! I so understand your pain and I'm so sorry!

I definitely think you should use it up! Give it to your 2 year old. Make some treats with it and freeze them for later. Can't wait to hear what you do with it!
    I love it that DH cried too. It shows that he knows how hard earned that milk is. Sounds like a keeper.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.