Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Milk Supply....Help!!!

Default Low Milk Supply....Help!!!

Please help...I have a problem with my breastmilk supply.

My daughter will turn 5 months next week. I have been feeding her breastmilk since birth and when i came back to work 3 months later.
    She fell ill two weeks ago. Because she had to be fed with syringe, her milk intake was halved than her usual feeding size of 140 ml at that time. However, i expressed my breastmilk to maintain the supply.

After she recovered, my milk supply dwindled rapidly. Because i put her in infant centre, i need to express 3 bottles of 160 ml (her current feeding size) for her feeding during the day. Yesterday i was struggling to meet that mark. Expressing at workplace 3 times a day (10:30am, 1:30 pm, 4:30 pm), at home (12:30 am, 3:30 am, 6:30 am) still did not give me the 480ml. Especially during the morning sessions, i could not even feel the let down reflexes.

Previously, each 3 hourly session i can express up to 120 ml for both sides and about 50-60 ml for one side. Now, each session only gives me 60 ml for both sides.

I am trying to increase my milk supply by letting my daughter latch on for her evening (9 pm), midnight feed (2 am), and morning feeds (7:30 am) but nothing seems to work.

Should i take the fenugreek seed capsules to increase my milk supply? Does it work?

Default Re: Low Milk Supply....Help!!!

I just started fenugreek about a week and a half ago after much debate on whether to use it. To my surprise it does work. I take 2 capsules 2-3 times a day. I noticed a difference in 2 days. Your urine and sweat do smell like maple syrup Strange, but true. It is worth a try.

where can you find the fenugreek? is it costly?

Fenugreek can be found at most healthfood stores. I got 60 capsules for $8.79. That will last you a min of 10 days and longer if you take less. I started off taking 2 caps 3 times a day. They say once your supply increases, you can decrease the amount to take to keep your supply level. I now only take 2 caps 2 times a day.