Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling overwhelmed and tired

Default Feeling overwhelmed and tired

So yds is nursing fine and all and gaining great. Feeling sort of pinned down and tired. He's just now 3 months and I also have a 26 month old. Sleep isn't great and he won't lay down during the day. Feeling like giving up so someone else can feed him and I can get a real break. I hate pumping and for me that doesn't seem like a break because then I have all this stuff to clean.

I barely got any sleep last night and I get so sleep deprived it's hard to fall asleep. I don't have a lot of friends and dh is at work and helping w my toddler when he is here. I havEnt figured out how to get out of the house w these two. So I feel stuck and alone.
    I need some support, advice from other moms. Going a little nuts here.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Default Re: Feeling overwhelmed and tired

I remember that feeling mama. Since you haven't been able to really do much outside of the house with the kiddos, have you thought of hosting a playdate at your place? That way, you'd get some adult interaction. Meetup.com is a really good start. Hang in there mama!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

3 months is a hard stage, mama! Baby is still so needy, and so unable to entertain himself. I totally second the advice to get out of the house if possible- even a trip to Target can seem like a vacation when you're pinned down with 2 kids. Let the older one run up and down the aisles, and the younger one nap in the sling...

Have you read Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"? It has advice on gentle ways to get a baby to sleep longer and more independently. They might work, they might not- but at least you feel like you're doing something about the sleep issue! And now is a good time to read up, since IIRC Pantley suggests not trying to make any changes to your baby's sleep patterns until 4 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I feel ya. I have a 5 month old and a 3 year old. I'm a SAHM. I can understand the feeling of just wanting a break. And of being so tired you can't barely stand. I know it is now possible to fall asleep (dose) while walking around with a baby trying to get them asleep. I've done it. A2 wakes up every hour all night. She only takes 20 minute naps during the day. So I understand. It does get easier though I promise. It's easier now than it was when she was 3 months. And I know from my first that EBF gets way easier too. Just hang in there mama It WILL get easier. I really don't have any friends, just my family. It's hard going out. I didn't until just this month with the two of them. It's hard but possible. A whole lot easier with BF than having to bring a bottle and everything that's for sure.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I do have NCSS but haven't read it all just skimmed it awhile back. Not sure when I'll read it now though. The ring sling kills my back and he won't just sleep in it easily. Must have white noise and jiggly motion. That'd be fun to do in target.

Need that book on my iPhone then I might get to read it.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

I am also not a big fan of ring slings! I always felt that they distributed the weight unevenly, and made my back hurt. Maybe use one of those Target runs to pick up a different sling? I know they carry Moby wraps, which are great but can be diddly to put on and eventually max out as the baby grows, and Baby Bjorns, which a lot of people don't like but which I personally loved, and they used to carry a Mei Tai-style carrier by Infantino that was dirt cheap and which became my favorite sling. (I got it as a free replacement for the Infantino pouch-sling-of-death that I bought for DD1 and hated because she didn't seem to be able to breathe in it!)

Have you tried a swing with your LO? It might provide the jiggly motion he craves without you having to do the jiggling. My kids both used the swing for naps for months. My first LO napped in the swing until she was close to a year!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a moby too...yes lots to put on. Seemed like he didn't like it much. I have a beco butterfly but still working out the adjustments. I tell you this guy is heavy..,almost out of 6 month clothes.

The swing was working and then he just decided he didn't like it anymore. He goes in it sometimes but won't fall asleep. I'll keep trying though. He started boycotting the binky too. Just wants to be attached to mommy.

Keep working with the baby carriers. It's a way to really help you out. Not a single one of my babies would tolerate a swing, 2 never took a binky, so it was all me. One liked the car, so we drove lots (of course, gas wasn't $3+ a gallon then!) but the others...I wore them constantly or they cried. One pitched a fit about it at first, but I was persistent, and I got it down.

With the ring sling, were you putting the ring up very high and had the baby up between your breasts? If not, that could be why it bothered your back. If the baby is too low, it hurts my back.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you taken walks? Either wearing your baby or in the stroller, and your toddler should enjoy it too. Even if it's cold outside, depending on where you live, a bunting & rain cover (keeps the wind out) can make a walk out in the cold enjoyable (and save IMO).
    Can you nurse lying down? then you can rest while nursing baby. Do you cosleep?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

We did go to the park one day but lo didn't like the wind so much. It was mid 50s, somewhat mild winter so far. I had to carry both kids to the car while crying. I should of pulled out the stroller. My 2 year old doesn't stay where I tell him yet so I have to carry him a lot. I think a double stroller might help, idk.

No we're not cosleeping. Actually he sleeps in his crib and own room at night. We moved him at 2 months because of issues we had with our older son not transitioning well. It's not that far but I'm having to get up a few times at night.

I haven't tried nip yet. I'm scared to because lo gets distracted and won't nurse happily if he's tired. I think that's holding me back.