Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: illness and decreased supply

Default illness and decreased supply

Hello All,

I've had the unfortunate luck of getting my period and a cold at the same time! My supply really took a hit. My period has ended and I'm on the tailend of my cold. At possibility that my supply will go back to normal? I will admit I was bad a few days and missed a few pumping sessions while I was sick (I decided rest trumped pumping for a quicker recovery). but now i"m back to my regular pumping schedule. I'm pretty much EP and my baby only breastfeeds once a day in the AM when I have the most supply. I pump every 3 hrs (although not as frequently at work...it's just not possible). My goal is to get her to one year and she's going to be 10 mon on tues. I have very little freezer supply and I have had to start supplementing with formula because I'm not making enough.

So I was just wondering if I can expect my supply to go back up (without having to like super pump or take supplements). Because I'm not sure what to do if I run out...my LO won't take straight formula! And we're almost there!

Thanks...sorry for the ramble.

Default Re: illness and decreased supply

It's hard to say. For some moms, supply does bounce back up after the end of their period and/or illness. For others, the only way to regain the ground they have lost is to put in a lot of work with the pump or nurse the baby a lot more frequently. I hate to tell a busy mommy to add more pumping/nursing time to her schedule, but I strongly suggest that you do it if you possible can.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No, you are going to have to power pump to get it back. IME, that is the only way for an EPing mom to get it back after a cold. A baby would increase demand normally; unless you nurse more, you are going to have to do it artificially by pumping more. Sorry.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

*sigh* I had a feeling that would be the case....it's just gotten soo tiring...plus it's really hard with work and now that she's more active I don't want to be tied to the pump...I guess I'll do my best and hope that it comes back...enough to at least one more month! Thanks for the replies.