Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD is pinching and scratching my chest

Default DD is pinching and scratching my chest

My DD is 3.5 months old, exclusively breastfed on demand. Lately she seems to have discovered the pleasures of using her tiny (but very strong) hands and fingers. My chest looks like it's been worked over by a ferocious cat: covered in scratches and pinch marks. I religiously clip DD's nails, but it only helps somewhat. She doesn't do this because she is frustrated or unhappy, she just likes to grab and pull whatever is within reach and during nursing that's my chest/breasts...

Any advice?

Default Re: DD is pinching and scratching my che

Give her something else to hold. Your hand is perfect, a toy or cloth may substitute.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DD2 still does that to me. I usually pull my shirt down for her to hold, or put my hand over my breast under her hands so she can't claw my breast.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

with the pps. also when my LO was doing this i started wearing high necked shirts and pulling them up just on the side i was nursing on, leaving the other breast covered as much as i could. i wore light scarves too if she went for my neck.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I have the same problem. I have to keep ds's nails trimmed or he gouges my skin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

My DD2 still loves to do this, I wish I had nipped it in the bud early on! I didn't and she just loves to pinch me.

DS I just bought some nursing necklaces, from mommy necklaces, (I bough them at my local baby boutique, but that's the brand name and they are sold online from the company directly too). They in my opinion are nice enough to look like real jewelry (costume) I would wear any way. Every time DS goes to pinch or claw me now, I just put his hand on the necklace and he plays with it and likes it a lot. I have bought two so far but plan on buying a few more, and also a set of chew beads. The chew beads aren't as pretty in my opinion-feel like Wilma Flintstone in over sized beads! lol But, they are chewy, and I think he and my DD would like to chew on them.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Thanks a lot for the tips. The burp cloths have proved interesting enough to DD that she is willing to grab them, instead of me. I may also give mommy necklace a try!

I think I may just have to get a mommy necklace. I try to distract him, but he just loves to knead and massage and pinch and... lol.