Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplementing with formula vs cows milk

Default Supplementing with formula vs cows milk

My DS is 6wks shy of being 1 year and am am having difficultues keeping up with him. He has also been sick the last week so he has not wanted hardley any solids at all, and we are burning through my very small freezer stash quickly. I am thinking that I may have to start supplementing him with one bottle of something else per day. I know that it is not reccommended to give cows milk until a year, but I really dont want to have to do formula. And I hace tried EVERYTHING to try and get my supply up, but I just cant make up that extra 6ox hat he needs. We are already doing a bottle of water sometimes too. I am looking for opinoins/suggestions/experiences with supplementing either cows milk or formula. Thanks in advance!
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Usually , but wish we were still

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

Default Re: Supplementing with formula vs cows m

I understand your reluctance to supplement with formula. And 6 weeks seems like a minor thing to quibble about, particularly considering that the recommendation in Europe is often to start cow's milk around 9-10 months. Still, if it were my kid I would probably supplement with formula until a year, if only because formula is so much closer to breastmilk than cow's milk is, nutritionally speaking. Again, 6 weeks seems minor. But when you consider what a huge fraction of your child's life that represents, and how much brain growth occurs in that first year... I'd consider formula to be the safer course.

How often are you nursing, on a daily basis? You might be able to just offer more healthy solids, and not have to choose between formula and cow's milk. Though again, I'd probably pick formula over most solids, if only because it's closer to breastmilk, and has he right balance of nutrition.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started giving my fourth baby some cow's milk around 10 months, so IMHO, IME, it is totally OK to introduce some cow's milk.

But...the vast majority of his milk intake was mama milk, and I limit his cow's milk to 8 oz a day.

Are you pumping exclusively? Are you nursing? We can troubleshoot to help you figure out how to maximize his mama milk intake and get you to at least a year
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am EPing unfortunately. DS went on a nursing strike at 6mo and I never was able to get him back to the breast despite my best efforts. Ever since then it has been a struggle to keep my supply up. I do plan to continue to pump at least until he is a year, and maybe a little longer. I pump 6x daily, do compressions, usually get 2 letdowns, 2 min of hand expressions after each session, and I eat oatmeal and take more milk plus and drink more water then I can stand. I dont know what else to do. I have PISA that I just got in October, and I recently switched shield size, which seemed to help a little, and my membranes are new.
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused!
    -Unknown Author

I'd be reluctant to start cow's milk early at all as it can increase the chances of developing a milk allergy. Have you tried pumping more often? (I know that would not be fun since you are already doing so much) He would probably be fine with some cow's milk but I'd look into formula or goat's milk first.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Sometimes the membranes can be duds, so maybe switch them out.

Could you rent a hospital grade pump for the last 6 weeks?

Are you pumping at least 120 minutes total n that 6 sessions?

What about getting up at night between 12 am and 5 am to pump?

It is hard
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, I do pump for a total of 120 min because each time I pump for a minimum of 20 min. I tried the 2am pumps for about a week and they seemed to help a little but I felt so drained with the lack of sleep.

I have talked to hubbie about renting a hospital pump and he was all like: well I dont know what we paid for this one for then if u r just going to use a different one. Grrr. He doesnt understand. I think I am going to bring it up again though, because I feel like I am not responding as well to mine anymore.

Thank you ladies for all of the great advice! I am reluctant to supplement at all, but for some reason I guess I jusrlt feel like formula should be a four letter word, KWIM?
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author

If you haven't given formula and don't have any in your house, I would give cow's milk.
    (Personally I don't undrstand how yogurt can be introduced before cow's milk but maybe I'm naive)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

What about a yogurt smoothie if he won't eat from a spoon? I also don't think that giving 6 ounces of cows milk a day 6 weeks before one year would be a problem. I wouldn't bother with formula unless it was going to be the bulk of his diet. I would think about that milk as a solid, in a way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I never understood that about yogurt either. How is a little yogurt okay but milk is not? My lo has been geting occasional yogurt since he was 7mo.

Thank you ladies for you opinions and advice! I think i will try to talk hubbie into renting a hospital pump for the last 6wks,and start giving one 6oz bottle a day of cows milk if needed. I feel much better about my decision now!
    Joann

Wife to Ash 6/10/06
    Mommy to Dalton 3/11/11

-Unknown Author