Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick weight gain question...

Default Quick weight gain question...

My son was weighed on January 6th and was 20lbs 9oz. He was weighed again yesterday the 29th and was 20lbs 10oz. Seems sooo much slower gain...is that normal at his age?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Quick weight gain question...

It is normal especially if he is becoming more mobile. Once DS learned how to tummy crawl and scoot all over the place he actually lost .3 pounds! I was worried but he still had good diaper output, still was alert and awake and still was meeting milestones, so I didn't get too concerned. (He ended up gaining 1.3 pounds the next month I weighed him)

"Healthy breastfed infants tend to grow more rapidly than formula-fed infants in the first 2-3 months of life and less rapidly from 3 to 12 months." From Kelly Mom http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ts.html#charts
    July 27 2011

Okay...this makes me feel better. He has no mobility yet Hates yummy time....he just lays there most the time and yells at me.

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

Oops...tummy time*

Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

Totally normal as the baby turns the corner into the second half of the first year. Increasing mobility burns a ton of calories, and even if your LO isn't crawling yet, he's probably reaching, rolling, squirming, kicking, etc. My kids' pediatrician told me that another reason breastfed children "lean out" in the second half of the first year is that "they can't have a bottle hanging out of their mouth all day long". In other words, they have to choose between being active and feeding, unlike bottle-fed babies who can continue to eat all. day. long.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"