Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clogged duct or worse?

Exclamation clogged duct or worse?

Hello. Baby girl is 6 wks old. I am on day 5 of a left breast lump.. feels like a walnut deep and a hard pea size nodule at the top just below areola. Tried everything.. massage, heat, pumping, chin toward the lump nursig, shower, hand expression, even a heated back massager. Nothing is helping. In fact it is getting more painful. Like a shrp numb zing painwith all over breast pain.. no fever or chills.. please help. Its devastating that nobody seems to be able to help. 5days is long for plugged duct right? I feel like i have nowhere to turn. Every treatment for plugged duct has been no help. Doc gave me antibiotics but said to keep working at the clog? ER said they dont know... to call my doc tomorrow. But im very nervous.. any help or experience is much appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: clogged duct or worse?

I've had lumps that have lasted for a few weeks. I would keep working on it. If you fill a disposable diaper with hot water it makes a great hot compress that lasts for a long time. Have you tried dangle nursing? Basically, you "dangle" over your baby on all fours and nurse. Looks weird, but it works. Also, take it easy. Really do rest.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I definitely second the "rest!" part. I had a horrible clogged duct at about 5 weeks with my twins and it was awful. A horrible huge hard lump that just would not go away for about 4 days no matter what I did. What finally worked for me in the end (and it's hard to know what all really contributed to it getting better as I'd poked and worked at it a lot) was resting as much as I could, a warm compress for about 5 minutes before nursing, and trying different positions to have my son get a different angle on it.

Have you tried switching nursing positions? Try as many different ones as you can. Get creative! Having a baby nurse from a different angle will put different pressure on different ducts and it might help to loosen up whatever you've got going on in there if it's a clog.

Good luck! Please keep us updated.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Yes i tried all of the above.. just never heard of the clog lasting soo long.. Lc says keep it up.. So in the tub i go.. So hard with two little ones.. But i have been taking it easy.. Ever heard of.it lasting soo long?

Yes. Mine have lasted that long. Fill a disposable diaper with hot water. It helps make a hot, moist compress, but you can just hold it on yourself rather than sitting in the tub. I used to hold them on myself in my office at work when I had some bad clogs.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

How are you feeling now? Have you seen any change?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

No actually its not a plug.. Some sort of mass/lump.. Feels.to me like a cyst. Im going for a second.opinion because the doc recommended waiting it out..which makes me eery.. People wait things like this out the die of cancer.. He said i may have to stop bf'ing if i want it removed.. Which is not ok w me.. Idk why they cant just aspirate it..

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I hope so.. But it is smaller than a galactocele from what i have read.. About pea sized.. And not painful since i stopped manipulating it (thinking it was a clog).. im really scared still.. My gut tells me dont leave it alone..

I'll say this...cancer is never painful. It doesn't hurt. I had two lumpectomies in my 20's, and the masses were not painful, which was why the doctor got worried about them. But go have your doc check it out so you know what it could be, as I knew a lady who developed breast cancer while nursing a baby, and the doctor told her it was mastitis...but it never hurt or had other signs of mastitis. I think about her sometimes, wondering what life might be like now had she gotten a second opinion. Total ramble and not meant to scare you..but pain is not indicative of cancer and you need to know what it could be just to set your mind at ease.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!