Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work :( and pumping...

Default Going back to work :( and pumping...

I'm going back to work next week (Feb. 6). Is there anything I need to do to prepare? Should I start pumping more often this week, I'm not too sure how to go about this. I already have a decent stash in the freezer that should last a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Going back to work :( and pumping...

Do you have an idea of what your pumping schedule will be like at work? Have you practiced with the pump, it can take a while to find your perfect suction (at first I thought the highest was the best but after some practice I have found how to progress up to what the best suction is for me). How does the baby do with bottles?

Keep in mind when preparing bottles for DC to start with smaller ones you can always make them bigger if not enough and take an extra one just in case.

Do you have a good pump? a double electric?
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Excellent advice and questions from the PP. In particular, this bit is great and often overlooked advice:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaDuMonte View Post
    Keep in mind when preparing bottles for DC to start with smaller ones you can always make them bigger if not enough and take an extra one just in case.
    A lot of mama seem to have problems with daycare providers overfeeding, perhaps because they are used to formula-fed babies who tend to take large bottles from very early on. It's often better to send several small bottles than one large one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have an electric double pump and I currently pump once or twice a day to build up my stash, so I am good with that. And bb is good with a bottle, we use the drop ins with the slow flow nipple and his nanny breastfed her baby some years ago so she is pretty well versed in what to do as not to over feed.

As far as my schedule, I'm going to try to pump atleast 3 times each shift. I will be working full time with my shifts being 930-6 or 1-930... should I try to start pumping at the approximate times I will at work to prepare?

Any other advice?

I would like to add that you can find a car adpater and pump while you are drive to work. Its a easy way to get a session in. You can make a hands free pumping bra by getting an old sports bra and cutting slits into them.
    July 27 2011

Plan to NOT use that freezer stash. I see so many moms thinking, I have a freezer stash, and they don't pump enough at work. Then they don't have enough n weekends, or they start pulling from the freezer stash to always make up the balance. Then, 5 months later, they have "low supply" and they really do.

So...work it to always be able to pump for the next day at work. Save Friday's for Monday, and first...find out if you have a lipase problem. If you don't, don't freeze that milk, as fresher is better. If you do have lipase, scald as little as possible.

Your freezer stash is there in case you spill it, in case you forget your milk at work, something. It's not meant to use constantly without replenishing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with PP. I used fresh milk on Tuesdays-Friday, froze what I got on Friday, and then used the oldest milk in the freezer for Monday so I was rotating my stash. But you should never be taking more out of the stash than you are putting in, unless something extraordinary happens.

How often you need to pump depends on you. With my last two babies I had to pump 3 times a day to get enough; I started off that way for my newest LO, and I discovered that even just pumping twice a day I was getting more than enough. Part of the purpose of the freezer stash is to help you figure out the best rhythm for you.

And join us over in the pumping chit-chat forum!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Plan to NOT use that freezer stash. Your freezer stash is there in case you spill it, in case you forget your milk at work, something. It's not meant to use constantly without replenishing.
    Sage, sage advice from the queen of pumping knowledge . If you do not follow this advice, you run a very high risk of "oh no, why am I not pumping enough anymore?!" If your output is less than your baby eats one day, you have to make up for however many ounces you are behind by either that same day after nursing sessions or on the weekend. There must always be "equal in, equal out." Never tell yourself, oh just take it out of the frozen milk, because this sends the message to your body to produce that much less on a daily basis. In fact, aim to have a slight surplus (0.5 - 1 oz extra daily), unless you have problems with oversupply.

Some other words of advice: call your nanny on the way home to let her know, "I'm almost there, I will nurse him if he's hungry in the next few minutes." This way, there is just that much less milk that you are "deficient" by, i.e. that you need to pump for that day.
    Pumping is the bane of my existence. It will soon become the bane of your existence. Become efficient in washing, storage, preparing your pumping bag in order to limit the daily urge to throw your pump across the room.
    Exclusively BF since 2/1/11 with no end in sight.
    THE greatest joy of my life.

Yes listen to Susan she knows more about pumping than most, she has earned the "Queen of Pumping" over the last year.

One other thing that helped me feel that he would have enough was to leave a bag in the freezer at daycare, DS is with a family that just has their 3 kids and him so it is not a big deal for them. He has used it before when milk spilled in the cooler.

Sounds like you have a good pump. When I first went back I tried to pump at the times that DS would eat at home, although I have a lot of freedom with my pumping schedule as I work for a family business.

ETA: Plan for the unknown. You are going to drop/spill/forget bottles at some point. I keep a micro steam bag in-case I drop bottles or pump parts on the floor, you can wash them then sanitize in the microwave. I keep 8-10 storage bags just in there for if you forget the storage bottle, and I keep a new pack of tubing. Always best to have a nicely packed pump bag.
    Last edited by @llli*mamaDuMonte; January 30th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude