Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Troubleshooting - possible slow letdown?

Default Troubleshooting - possible slow letdown?

I've been on here the last week trying to figure out how to help DS. He was diagnosed with an ear infection on Friday, and we've been doing antibiotics.

His willingness to nurse is MOSTLY back. Here's the problem: I can't get the milk to come out as quickly b/c he's not suckling as hard all the time -- I THINK.

After an unsuccessful nursing session, I will go pump and VOILA, the let-down happens.

So, is it me or is it him? How do I deal with this?

DH is giving him his milk in a bottle right now b/c every other time, the amount of milk he's gotten when not nursing has been minimal at best. I'd rather he get a decent serving than dribbles.

For the last 3 days, he's only nursed 2x during the day and 1 or 2x at night maximum.

Thanks.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Troubleshooting - possible slow letd

Oh - and this is not a new problem. The milk flow/start/let-down has been slow for a while except in the middle of the night, and he's been distracted in the morning especially for a few weeks.

Are you home with him right now? Or working outside the home? If you're home with baby, I would ditch the bottles and the pump and just nurse. It's possible your LO is getting lazy at the breast because he knows that eventually you're going to give him a bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is honestly the first time we've done a bottle since who knows when. I'm trying to remember the last one. I've been doing a cup to get stuff into him, but it dribbles. I'm home all day every day. It's RARE that I'm away from him, and it's always scheduled so that I'm home to feed him so that it's all breast.

I'm having real emotional issues about this, and my husband is trying to calm me down. I know I can give him milk through a syringe (did that last night to get him some) and via cup (been doing that a couple of days), but he's really not doing much to get himself something to drink. I've tried various sorts of cups, but he just chews on them, throws them, or bats them away.

I got myself a nursing necklace. He played with it and suckled, then came off the breast to chew on it.

I looked back at all my posts only to find that this rollercoaster of not wanting and wanting and not wanting, etc., has been going on since late November.

I don't think its you or letdown being too slow but rather maybe you just have an impatient and distractable baby. My baby was extremely distractable from like 5 months through a year. It kept me from nip and I really had to control the nursing environment to make it very calm and boring. We also had the same thing w the chewing the necklaces. You might have to try a million little things until you find what works. I wish there was a magic solution but eventually they get through that phase. I've written a lot about my distractable lo here but stuff that you might try: lying down nursing,dark room,sound machines, singing, humming, whistling, stories (the same songs/rhymes every time or variety!), diff nursing chairs or pillows. You get the idea. Sorry you're getting so frustrated I hope you get some relief soon!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks. I've rocked to block out the sound out in the house (loud rocking chair) in his dark room. I've tried lying down with him - he bites. I have sung to him - he likes that ok. I've done the nursing necklace as I said. I haven't tried talking to him. I will do that next. Thank you.