Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! IDK what to do..

Default Help! IDK what to do..

So this is my first post on here, but IDK what else to do.

My son is a EBF 6 1/2 months old and we have been struggling with rashes and allergy problems since 3 1/2 months old. He had a total of three Bowl movements that had blood in them before I took dairy away from my diet. I have also taken wheat out of my diet because it seems like he goes the bathroom more when I eat it and gets a stuffy nose. I am allergic to eggs, soy and garlic, so I am not eating those.

The doctor has seen him 3 times for this problem. The last time we saw the doctor was for his 6 month well baby visit. The doctor told me that if this continues that we would have to stop BF because my son is probably allergic to BM. That statement has made me extremely sad. I have no idea what to respond to him when he says that. My son and I have a awesome BF bond, and I do not want to stop until he is ready to stop.
    My question is has anyone had or heard of allergy testing for infants? And was my doctor wrong about being allergic to BM?... I thought that he could only be allergic to something im eating if he is having a problem with it?? And how should I approach my doctors attitude about BF my son? I dont care if I am only able to eat rice and chicken if that is what my son need... am I just crazy and should listen to my doctor?

Default Re: Help! IDK what to do..

How well is your baby growing? Is he meeting milestones? http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

I am not an expert on allergies, but what your doctor is saying sounds really fishy to me. Question: If you were to stop nursing and you feel that cow's milk is the problem (you saw blood in the stools before you removed dairy, right?) what the heck does your doctor think most formula is made from? Um, dairy from cows. I suppose there is also soy formula, however your doctor sounds kind of not with it if you ask me.

Why do you think there's a wheat problem? What do you mean he goes to the bathroom more? Small babies just go a lot.

I am sure there will be a much more experienced allergy mama to come along, but I have only heard of one baby ever being "allergic to breastmilk." And that sounded fishy to me, to be honest. I think it was one of those Duggar kids.

How to approach your doctor's attitude: If you don't like the doctor's attitude, get a new doctor.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

He is growing great and hitting milestones! He was born early, but he has put on weight fast and grew 8 inches in the first 4 months!! I know I think I might switch the only thing that has been keeping me going to the doctor is that he's dealt with my son since this problem started, but if he gives me an ultimatum I'm switching for sure...

When I took wheat out of my diet he had a bowl movement once or twice a day. With wheat it was almost every diaper change... maybe a coincident?? Im currently testing that one...

Someone suggested the elimination diet in another forum, but I want to start solids soon and feel very uneasy about starting them not knowing whats causing his problem since Im guessing BM dilutes the allergen...

Thanks for your help!!

I don't know about BM "diluting" an allergen. From what I know, babies with allergies just have them. You may get a better response in the allergy forum here. Lots of good mamas there.

To be honest, it's totally normal for babies to poop a whole bunch sometimes and then very little. It's even normal for them to only go poo once a week or even less at some points.

You could eliminate dairy. The allergy mamas can give you insight. I think it takes several weeks for dairy to get out of your system. And you know that dairy in in EVERYTHING in lots of weird ways (I haven't eaten dairy for about 18 years). Anyway....

I would be a lot more worried if you told me he wasn't growing and was losing a bunch of weight. Do read the Kellymom link I sent. When it comes to trusting forums for breastfeeding advice, mama, I'd stick with this one and stick with info on Kellymom or LLL. They are the best of the best. HTH!

Christine

Thanks!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

http://www.llli.org/ba/nov98.html

Your doctor is incorrect. There is a very very rare circumstance where a baby is allergic to a lactose protein present in many milks including human milk. However it is a huge deal and the way it presents itself (symptoms etc) is so drastic it would have been noticed in the first few days of life. The very fact your babe has breastfed this long is evidence that he is not allergic.

I highly recommend a new doctor as this one is making uninformed recommendations.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

New doc for sure. If your doc were being honest, he would say "I don't know what is wrong with your baby, or if anything is wrong, and I don't know how to figure it out so I am going to refer you to someone who may have a better idea". Instead, he chose to blame you and your milk.

Lots of mamas here- including me- have nursed their babies through bloody stool issues. Blood in the stool is not necessarily a huge problem- my kid's pediatrician sure didn't think so! She looked at my kid's blood-streaked diaper and said "Meh, probably a little proctitis due to lactose overload, since you have so much milk. It will heal up. Call me if you get a diaper that's all blood."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would try and find another pediatrician that specializes in allergies. They might be able to help you more and get to the bottom of the issue rather than blame your milk. It does not sound like your son is allergic to your milk so IMHO I would not stop breastfeeding. I feel like that is the worst thing to do to a baby who has digestive issues.
    July 27 2011

Thanks everyone! I attended a WIC Breastfeeding class when I was pregnant, and I remember the instructor saying that BM was the best for babys with allergies. So I was thrown off by him saying that! I am switching doctors. I already found one online that is suppose to be BF friendly and Im going to call on monday. And Im more that ever determined to stay BF!!!

Good for you, mama. The best doctor I found was one that women in my LLL group suggested. Hopefully the new one is better.

BM is better for babies. Period.

Christine