Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I take Melatonin while breastfeeding

Default Re: Can I take Melatonin while breastfee

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    That's true. But her baby has a terminal illness. So, I think she may need to aid to try and get some ZZZs while also doing her best to be safe with her baby.

If it were me, I'd go for the melatonin over the Ambien. And then I'd choose maybe half a Benedryl over the Ambien. But if you can't sleep without the Ambien, can you put your baby in a sidecar so she's not right in the bed with you? My friends who take Ambien say it really makes them do weird things.

I could do the sidecar, but she's three weeks old and I've been taking half an ambien.. and it doesn't make me do weird things at all. The ambien just helps me fall asleep.

Would you go with the other things over ambien because of how it might affect cosleeping or because you think its safer?

And yes, thank you for the support with teh sleep. While I would rather be taking nothing, the reality is Lydia Ann does have a terminal illness and diagnosis and I have to get sleep, I have two other children who are 4 and almost 2 who I need to have energy for, not to mention having a baby and being a wife.
    Last edited by @llli*lovinmommy; January 29th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hermione View Post
    I think that if this is anxiety related the ambien is only going to mask the problem.
    You might want to adress the anxiety problem first. There are safer medications for anxiety like SSRIs (zoloft, paroxetine) when it is not likely the anxiety will go away soon. If you control the anxiety, sleep will also be better and you'll have a global improvement. Of course, this would need clinical evaluation.
    If you really need a sedative, oxazepam is the one that passes the less to BM.
    The anxiety has come when I was pregnant and told my daughter wasn't going to survive birth.. and now she is here and three weeks old but she has a terminal diagnosis and no one can really tell us anything about how long she will live etc. etc. I do see a grief counselor, I have ever since we were given the news six months ago. I would agree with your comment about getting help so that way I'm not overly anxious, and most days I'm not.. its just getting to sleep. I have to get some sleep. I also need to breastfeed my daughter, not only because I believe that breast is best, but also for her specific case she needs my milk for her immune system etc.
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aphimama View Post
    IMHO, I'd pick Ambien because there's more research on its possible effects (and still no conclusive evidence of harm in humans) during breastfeeding than there is on melatonin while BF. Between that and the fact that you know how your own body reacts to it already I'd generally pick the devil you know.

At this stage Benadryl with the frequency you're looking at using it (every night) may damage your milk supply and make you absolutely knocked out while bed-sharing.

Glad you're doing something to take care of YOU and make sure you're getting some basic needs met right now. Sorry there isn't a heck of a lot of conclusive research out there. I swear half the time it's just companies trying to cover their own a$$ and though they could potentially say it's safe, they can't for fear of litigation. That said, Infantrisk probably is your most reliable resource for these purposes if you still want more information.
    thank you. It's hard I'd rather not take anything, but then I don't sleep and everything is worse. I'm going to call infantrisk tomorrow morning and see what they say.

I don't think melatonin will help much.

http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/show...ight=melatonin

The main problem with the ambien is that it can cause sleepiness and respiratory depression in the baby (especially if there are already respiratory problems).

Another safe option is hydroxizyne, an antihistamine.That's really what I would try.

http://www.e-lactancia.org/ingles/inicio.asp

But not all anti-histamines are safe, the sominex apparently isn't the best.
    You can trust this website (e-lactancia), it's recommended in dr newmanns page.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommy View Post
    I could do the sidecar, but she's three weeks old and I've been taking half an ambien.. and it doesn't make me do weird things at all. The ambien just helps me fall asleep.

Would you go with the other things over ambien because of how it might affect cosleeping or because you think its safer?

And yes, thank you for the support with teh sleep. While I would rather be taking nothing, the reality is Lydia Ann does have a terminal illness and diagnosis and I have to get sleep, I have two other children who are 4 and almost 2 who I need to have energy for, not to mention having a baby and being a wife.
    I was saying I'd do the other things because the seem a little more gentle, and the Ambien made my friends do weird stuff. But if it doesn't make you do weird things and you feel good about - by all means.... Go with your gut. I'd call infantrisk and see what they say though. They can give you levels of safety, so you can make a good judgment. I hope the sleep fairy blesses you tonight! Thinking of you and your family, mama! <3

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hugs mama. I would continue the ambien. It's an L3 medication, and you would already know if it was affecting the baby. Plus you know how you react to it with regards to co-sleeping. Also ambien works similar to a benzodiazapine chemically. So it actually would be good for anxiety in a way that melatonin would not be...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Hale lists melatonin as an L3, and basically says that while it is transferred into the milk (at a rate of anywhere from 35% to 80% of the maternal plasma level), they don't know what the effect of it is on the baby. He doesn't list any reported negative effects. The mother's naturally occurring melatonin is passed through the milk to the baby and is believed to help regulate the baby's circadian rhythm.

We've tried melatonin in our family because I'd read that it was found to help autistic children with sleep issues (my DD is on the spectrum). It doesn't seem to have much of an effect on DD, if any, but if DS takes 0.5 mg he's sound asleep within an hour (instead of taking 3 hours to fall asleep because he Can't. Stop. Squirming.). So, it's definitely helpful for some people, if not everyone.

One other thought... I know there are some anti-depressants that are also used to treat insomnia... It might be worth talking to your doctor to see if there are any possibilities that could help with both sleep and anxiety.

I can't even imagine how stressful it must be to live with so much uncertainty. I'm glad to hear you've got a counselor to talk to. Please do take good care of yourself.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

How about some fish oil during the day? DHA (present in fish oil) helps affect sleep and fish oil helps with mood. I didn't realize there was a terminal illness the family was dealing with when I responded. I do know that sleep aids make bedsharing more dangerous, in general, but where you have tried it and already know you are okay with it that may be entirely different. I lost a child post-nataly. I didn't get the opportunity to sleep with him but he was diagnosed pre-birth so I know how the anxiety and uncertainty and emotion affect sleep. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I would also recommend 'rescue remedy' and 'ignatia' ,both safe while breastfeeding, to help manage stress and emotions. Much love.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.