Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with routine

Default help with routine

Hi all,
    I need help setting up a flexible routine for dd and myself. I feel like at 6 months we should have a natural flow to our days.

I am away for work tuesdays through thursdays and she is great with my dh. He feeds her EBM on demand which could be every 2,3,or maybe 4 hours. DD drinks about 3oz but maybe 4 or 2oz. she also has about three bottles between 8pm and 6am and co sleeps with him when I'm not home.

When I'm home she nurses every 1.5 at night which is the only thing I can count on.

During the day however it seems like we nurses non stop when we are quiet or could go for hours and hours without getting fussy if we're running around town. Her cues aren't very noticeable or really there? I also never really feel a let down while bf but i do when i pump.

i am pumping every 2.5 3 hrs at work but stop from 8pm to 3am so I can sleep and have energy for the next day. could that be affecting my supply while I'm home.

what do most 6 moth old babys do??? other sahm from our play group have it down nurse awake, naps alone and regular cues when your not doing something right.
    DD is content, but I feel wishy washy the way we nurse and when she naps.

Default Re: help with routine

Sounds normal to me for a six month old. At that age while we were out and about or busy he would go a lot longer without nursing (and often refuse if I offered) but nurse more frequently at home. Napping just started to get more predictable at 6 months for him though he always nursed to sleep. I believe six months is when we started with two naps a day and dropped the afternoon cat nap. Also that was the age he began to nap alone at all! And although we still co-sleep (he's 12 months now) by about 6 months I could nurse him to sleep and sneak away for a couple of hours till my own bedtime. As for bedtime we've done an early bedtime, 6:30-7 pm from about 3 months. He still wakes to nurse but without getting up.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I find when I'm away for work, the next day, my babies are more clingy and need to nurse or eat more often. Even true for my bottlefed guy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Are you worrying about routine because it doesn't match what your play group does? My LO is almost a year old still doesn't have a real routine when I am around (I work during the day 5 days a week and DH takes care of the baby). Just like your LO, he will tend to nurse a lot when we are home but he will go longer when we are out and about. DH does seem to have more of a routine with him, but that may be partly due to the fact that their routine is often dictated by the routine of the older two.

If your LO is growing and meeting milestones and having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, I personally wouldn't worry too much about the routine.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

don't worry about a routine just because other moms do!

My little one will switch it up. Sometimes she'll nurse alot sometimes she won't. I just follow her cues.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I know that I shouldn't be too worked up about having a routine if we're meeting milestones and growing. But I am confused and awkward when we are nursing for the 3rd time in an hour and other moms or my mom ask me why? I don't really know why we are, DD will nurse and I don't really feel like she filled up yet I guess. So I make a lame excuse and feel like I'm wrong and need to have a better routine that is more baby led than dictated by whenever I sit still again. She has EBM and is fine for a few hours why can't we do the same? She's not clingy in fact she's so easy going that it worrys me. That's why I feel like some guidelines would be better than what I'm doing.

My little guy is my third and definitely the most mellow and easy going. That being said, some days still he wants to nurse multiple times in an hour when he is with me. He just likes to nurse. Remember that nursing isn't just about feeding; it is about closeness and attachment. Perhaps your DD is easy going because she knows she has the security of being able to have the closeness of nursing whenever your around. It sounds to me (and I can be reading this wrong) that you are worrying about the cues that the other moms are giving you rather than the fact that it sounds like you are reading the cues of your LO exactly right. If she wasn't getting what she needed she wouldn't be easy going.

You want an answer for the other moms? Tell them that your LO just seems to adore the closeness of nursing. That this time is short and the two of you are enjoying the bond that comes with nursing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

You keep doing what you are doing! You are breastfeeding on demand and following your child's needs. Perhaps go to an LLL meeting to be around people who ''get it''. And maybe a new play group if they are asking such questions, you need support because this is absolutely normal.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Wow! It's hard to believe that all the ladies on this forum are doing the exact same thing we are?? I was looking for some pro breastfeeding advice on having some guidelines on a day to day routine but instead it seems like my breastfeeding playgroup is getting some heat. Maybe LLL is the wrong place to ask a question and feel supported? Does anyone nurses on demand and at certain times during the day too? Has anyone wrote a book about baby patterns I can read if not?

Hi there, my LO is only 5m, 1wk but we have a "loose" routine on the weekends (I work FT). Basically she gets up and goes to bed at predictable times and then takes a morning nap and afternoon nap. I usually nurse her twice before the morning nap, after she gets up from the nap, and then once again before afternoon nap, once before dinner and again before bed (and she nurses at night). During th day it's basically feeding every two hours, sometimes longer.

However...when she was teething last weekend, she nursed nonstop for a few hours. So IDK. Nursing seemed to help her discomfort.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!