Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block duct again. Feel like givimg up.

Default Block duct again. Feel like givimg up.

Hi, I've posted sometime back about my blocked duct n blisters on my right breast.
    And yes, I did have numerous times of blocked duct n blisters for the last few months and it affected my supply on my right breast from being able to yield 5oz to 4oz to 3oz and now 2oz for a 4hr stretch. no matter how, I am still unable to up my supply on my right breast.

And 3days ago, I woke up n had a blocked duct n blister on my left breast. which is d good side that can yield 7oz-8oz in my 5-6am pump session(5-6hrs stretch). It took me 5hrs of pumping, massaging, hot showers, dip breast in hot water n DH to suck to unblock. And yesterday noon, it took me 3hrs to unblock d duct.

I am afraid it will affect my supply to d down side coz as off yesterday n today's 5am pump, I only managed to get 5oz on my left. That is 2days in a row that shows my supply is going down hill. I dont like the feeling n it is really affecting my emotions.( i really rely on this good side to nurse my dd thru out d day n night)

I am having this giving up thought n feeling n that is not a good sign and am trying hard to fight this bad feel away

Anyone here have this sort of feeling or I am d only one?
    Last edited by @llli*jamielee; January 28th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Default Re: Block duct again. Feel like givimg u

Just wanted to show you some support. I've had mastitis 6 times, but never any blisters. Sounds painful! Can you nurse dd more instead of pumping? Are you trying to build up a supply? It sounds like you're producing enough for her present needs, which is wonderful. Don't give up, sister! Have you tried asking in the Pumping forum?

It's not worth quitting over I spent the first 8 months of my first baby's life with a blocked duct somewhere.

Blebs make me think latch change. Teething always gave me one, often before I saw a tooth.

For the plugs....

Work to control oversupply
    Try different positions to nurse
    If you pump, be sure to massage and do compressions
    Check your bras. I had one that always gave me a plug. Once I threw it away, the incidence of plugs went down significantly
    Cut out saturated fats. Like one small bowl of ice cream or a hamburger or a small amount of steak always caused a plug
    Take lethicin.

Keep nursing. Don't rely on a pump. What baby can get is always more than what you get from a pump
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree make sure your bra isn't too tight and has no underwires. Don't give up Try eating some oatmeal daily to help boost your supply if you are really worried about it. But often plugged ducts come from OS.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

No. You are not alone. I had blisters, blebs, blocked ducts, thrush for 3 FREAKING months and some other issues, as well. I thought many times about giving up. You are not alone. But you don't have to give up.

Why are you pumping so much? FWIW, I believe I got more clogged ducts when I pumped full time when I was at work. Have you tried taking lecithin? http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I recommend taking lechitin. If you are pumping much you may have an incorrect flange size (many women do). Your seatbelt, bra, shirts, sleeping position (on tummy) may be contributing to clogs. If you discover the cause you'll have the cure.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Hello isabellesmama, Susan,SAM,yoginimama,redpowerlady,

Thank you so much for all d encouragement.

I had to struggle another block duct on thursday morning again..my last feed was 12.30am. woke up 6am to pump n the same duct was block. I massaged, took hot shower, dip breast in hot water n even open up d blister again n again. called a massage lady to help me massage my breast n finally managed to unblock around 2pm. THAT is almost 14hrs n this time i can feel my supply is down hill coz friday n saturday morning, I only got 4oz on my left (6hrs stretch). And today, i barely get 3oz. Its 4oz missing!!! I AM IN A PANIC SITUATION. What shud I do to get back my supply???

I am so not ready to WEAN!!! But I am really feeling very down at this moment.

Any suggestions?

OS...do you have it?

Are you using gentle compression when you pump? If you aren't, try that, as it helps keep the milk flowing.

What about your bras, sleeping postion, diet, etc?

I have them regularly. They suck.

For the decrease in supply...nurse more.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Susan,

No. I do not have OS. in fact DD always finish off both breast thru out d whole day. She sleeps thru from 12am till 8am. Thats why i always wake up to pump at ard 5-6am. That would be my freezer stash, cereal time add ons and sometimes back up when she fusses after a feed which usually happens during her noon feed.

I also need to pump extra now for my FIL's gf baby. she just delivered on d 25th January n she is not keen to bf bb but is pumping now coz bb in NICU.(oredi informed her all information required to put bb back to breast n pumping duration) . She had a surgery done to have her intestine place back where it shud be. So whatever amount i can spare will also be her emergency stash shud she run low.
    Last edited by @llli*jamielee; February 4th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Try massaging your breasts as you pump, and maybe try a different sized horn if you are pumping a lot. That and a funky latch usually give me blebs, which then usually block up my ducts.
    Susan