Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newer than new...

Default Re: Newer than new...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Ditch the paci.

Plan to camp out in your PJs for the next few weeks. There's nothing wrong with it. We all did it. It's the best thing you can do.
    A few weeks - gee my little one is almost 3 months and I still spend most of my days in my pj's. There are days when I'm just too tired to put on clothes - mind you, I'm only at home, why dirty another set of clothes? That is just more washing to do lol

Seriously, the first 2 weeks were the worst weeks. I agree with everything else - do nothing but be with your baby for those few weeks. Don't cook, don't clean, don't go anywhere or do anything - just sit down with bubs, feed, cuddle and nap. If people want to visit, then they can just see you in your pj's. I remember rocking my bub to sleep for 6 hours from 11pm til 5am in the recliner before she finally went to sleep. It was awful.

I also spoke to a local midwife who saved my sanity in teaching me to settle my LO. At 3 weeks old, my baby could put herself to sleep (without crying) and it was a no tears solution - easy on me, easy on baby. At 12 weeks we have an awesome sleeper who goes down really easily and has allowed me to gain a little bit of my life and clean house back

I so remember those days. Days I would just cry and wonder what I got myself into. Remember though that your baby has been safe and sound in your belly for 9 months. She didn't even know what hunger, gas, thirst or anything felt like! Everything is new and scary! The most comforting place for her is with you. Not only does breastfeeding relieve hunger, it secrets relaxing hormones for mother and baby. But trust me... it does get better... eventually. Hang in there and we have all been through it!
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Wow, I'm reading these and feeling so much envy! We were in the NICU, and at four days out I was crying the whole time I wasn't in the hospital because I couldnt be near my baby. And even in the hospital our in-arm times were limited by nurses' infuriating concerns that my embraces overstimulated my own baby. I cant imagine getting to have the baby with me in those early weeks and wanting to put him down. I'm sure it is exhausting, and I dont mean to belittle that, but it really is needed by both your baby's body and -- I can say at least from my experience -- your mama's body. Some people call those first weeks the "babymoon" period, and I think that's a lovely way to think of it. Since the nursing is going well for you and it sounds like you arent in pain, stop counting or looking at the clock and just sink into love with your little one. A haze of sleep, milk, and precious little hands is all you need right now -- that and someone bringing you food and water every hour. Like everything else in parenthood, this time wont last. Savor it all you can.
    Last edited by @llli*katmar; January 31st, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Punctuation rules
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!