Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HIDA scan (hepatobiliary test) ok w/ BF?

Default HIDA scan (hepatobiliary test) ok w/ BF?

doctor is recommending a HIDA scan (hepatobiliary test) of the gallbladder / liver. this involves a radioactive material injected in your body (through IV i think).... i am still nursing my 2 year old. he eats regular food and nurses quite a bit during the day (still loves to nurse)... am wondering if this is okay to have while BF or if I need to stop BF for a few days. some of the medical sites online say to stop for 1 - 2 days after the test, but I am looking for reliable info from a doctor or site who is actually knowledgeable about BF to find info on this test.

thanks for your help

Default Re: HIDA scan (hepatobiliary test) ok w/

Call the people at Infantrisk--they have the most up to date information.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I just found out the "medicine" they are using is choletec (or choletech). they told me to stop for 72 hours.... seems like a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Call the people at Infantrisk--they have the most up to date information.
    Thanks for the website. I'm a little lost on the site and can't figure out which department I would call, and can't find this info on the site? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Call (806) 353-2519.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Definitely call InfantRisk! (806)-352-2519 Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm Central US time.

InfantRisk was set up by Dr. Thomas Hale, a pharmacologist who is the leading expert on medications and breastfeeding. I have access to his meds database online, and while there's not a lot of info on radioactive diagnostic procedures, I did find this:

Diagnostic Procedure: HIDA (cholescintigraphy)
    Radiopharmaceutical: 99mTc-Choletec, Hepatolite,
    Dosing Range (mCi): 3-5
    Comments: No interruption for 4 mCi or less
    The comments kind of imply that breastfeeding should be interrupted with a 5 mCi dose, but it doesn't say what duration should be. Do you know what your dose is? InfantRisk will be able to tell you with more certainty whether you need to interrupt breastfeeding and for how long.

Good luck! I hope you don't have to stop breastfeeding at all. That would be tough.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--