Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spotting?

Default spotting?

So, I have been on-and-off spotting since my son turned two years old. My period came back 18 months PP and was relatively normal until the month before the spotting started (I had a 46 day cycle then spotted the following month)

Anyway the spotting will go away for a couple of months then return for a couple of months.

I've been to two doctors about this (going back next month for my third appointment) Had an U/S and countless vaginal exams- nothing.

All my doctors say is it is low estrogen (without doing bloodwork) due to breastfeeding and my weight (my BMI is always between 17-18 so low) and tell me to wean.

I am not going to wean, but I think it is possibly a fair assessment of what is going on. I have some weird perimenopausal symptoms. I think my progesterone is whacky too...

Has anyone else spotted during extended breastfeeding? And when I mean spotting most of the time it is a couple of days mid-cycle but sometimes out of that range. It is so light it never reaches my underwear, just the toilet paper when I wipe.
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

Default Re: spotting?

I spot irregularly too.

I definitely think it has to do with hormones, weight, and possibly thyroid. I get night sweats/hot flashes like there is NO TOMORROW.
    I was getting the most painful irritated feeling when nursing so I started up the mini pill as an experiment. It really helps with the pain, and the spotting is gone.

I think it had some to do with nursing between 3-6 am which suppresses your period. I really should have had one by now, I only pump once during the day, but we always nurse during the night.

My spotting was also affected by how many calories I was taking in. The more I took in in the week before the heavier the spot.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!