Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Conflicted

Default Conflicted

I have a 16 month old that nurses part time and loves it. During the week it's 4 am, wake up, when we get home and before bed. On the weekends he nurses whenever he wants.
    We're ready to ttc (I've been ready for months, DH just got onboard), but my cycle still hasn't returned. This morning I met with a midwife who recommended an ovulation test kit, but said it's likely that I'm just sensitive to hormones.

To further complicate things I got a sleep apnea diagnosis last week. Basically my breathing is somewhat obstructed an avg of 41 times an hour. So I can sleep with a face mask/machine all night or get my tonsils out. After 5 nights of trying I can't imagine getting through a pregnancy or the newborn stage with it and am leaning towards the tonsils.

Those things seem to point to weaning now, but I don't think either of us are ready. But I also really ant to have another soon.

Any thoughts/advice?

Default Re: Conflicted

Well, getting your tonsils out doesn't mean that you'd need to wean. Lots of moms have had some sort of surgery and have continued to nurse. But if you're ready for another kid and need to wean in order to get your fertility back, that's another matter. You might be able to coax your fertility to return by simply dropping some sessions. The longer you go without nursing, the lower your prolactin levels fall and the more likely it is that your estrogen levels will rise high enough to make you cycle. That's why a lot of moms get their fertility back around the time their babies start sleeping through the night.

IIRC, the average time until return of fertility for a breastfeeding mom is around 15.5 months. You're right there, really. I don't think you should consider yourself unduly "sensitive" to breastfeeding hormones until you've gone a few more months without a cycle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Conflicted

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    IIRC, the average time until return of fertility for a breastfeeding mom is around 15.5 months. You're right there, really. I don't think you should consider yourself unduly "sensitive" to breastfeeding hormones until you've gone a few more months without a cycle.
    This was my thought too. I mean, you're not by any means "late" in a return to fertility at this point. I might give it three or four more months (during which time, consider getting your tonsils out?). You may be surprised; for all you know, you are only weeks away from a return of AF anyway. If it still hasn't come back then, start dropping sessions? That is just what I would do, but if you are feeling more pressure to TTC, I'd start by dropping one session at a time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.