Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lowered milk supply?

Default lowered milk supply?

Hi, little one is 2 months old now and she's always had only breastmilk, she refuses formula, at least the brands I have tried so far. The problem is that I have had diahreea for a month now, it was a virus that my two older girls gave me, they recovered in one day but I've been struggling with it since xmas. I'm wondering whether my milk is still rich enough for the baby as I've noticed that she cries a lot more especially from 8 in the evening all through midnight. I think she might have colic and she wants to be suckling all the time. I'm also wondering whether my age affects the quality of my milk. I am now 39, when I had my two other girls I was a few (not many)years younger and I don't remember having had so many problems with breastfeeding. Another this is I'm not sure whether she's growing enough, I haven't been to the doctor's with her since she was discharged from hospital. She seemed to be growing fine but now I'm starting to doubt it. I also wonder if it's all in my head! but she does cry a lot and I get exhausted of feeding her for such long time. There is this idea here in my country (italy) that babies should feed only for 15 min on each breast. It doesn t sound right. Shall I try formula to see if she cries a bit less? I have tried two types so far and she spat them out. I don't know whether to try another type or persevere with my milk, hope my condition gets better and drink more. any advice?

Default Re: lowered milk supply?

IMO, you are doing everything right, except offering formula. Trust your body. It will make the milk for her, even at your own body's expense. Your milk is fine, no matter your age. Some babies just cry and need comforting. Babies LOVE to be comforted by the breast. There is nothing more perfect for them right now than that. Have you seen a doctor about your illness? Are you eating and drinking enough? 8-midnight is a very normal time for colicy babies to cry. Don't doubt your body or it's abilities. Nurse your baby when she wants it. Also, her weight is probably fine if she seems to be developing normally otherwise. My baby was tiny. Less than 5th percentile for height and weight for most of his infancy/toddler years. Some babies are big and some are small.

Throw out the formula, you don't need it! My babies were both extremely fussy and colicky in the evenings, and so are many other babies. Colicky evenings are very, very normal at 2 months. I actually think you are fortunate that your baby will nurse during that fussy time: neither of mine would and it made coping with the crying much harder. At least when there is a breast in the baby's mouth, she cannot scream at you!

Your age has nothing to do with the quality of your milk. Milk production is controlled by your pituitary gland, not your reproductive organs. Theoretically, a mom could lactate for as long as she lives, provided that she continued to nurse or pump. I have known moms who have successfully breastfed their babies in their forties and fifties (yes, fifties!).

Your instincts are absolutely correct that it is not a good idea to limit time at the breast. Some babies are fast feeders, some are slow feeders. Babies don't watch clocks, and neither should their mothers.

Finally, I also encourage you to see a doctor about your illness. A month of diarrhea might be more than a virus.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you so much for your help. deep down I know that what I am doing is right. you just gave me a huge confidence boost! I have done some tests about my illness, just waiting for the results, fingers crossed.

This may help too: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Its really very normal.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.