Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: birthday cake alternatives

Default birthday cake alternatives

DS turns one soon and we are having a small family party for him tomorrow. We want to keep him away from sugar for as long as we can, so we are ooking for alternatives to sugar to give him for his birthday. Any ideas?
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: birthday cake alternatives

There are cake recipes that are very low in sugar. Carrot cake is one of them. Or you can make cupcakes, so that the portions are also controlled. There are those fruit bouquets that kids love, but I don't know how much fruit your babe is eating at this point. But they're very festive. Cookies in fun shapes can work and again, there are lots that have very low or no sugar. It's just about thinking outside of the box.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

there are several websites with sugarfree 1st birthday cake recipes. I made the banana cake from this site and it was delicious: http://grizzlybirds.blogspot.com/200...e-recipes.html
    I made a large pan of it and cut it into two squares to stack it high for my dd. we got a regular sugarery cake for our guest, but several of us tasted the banana cake and actually liked it much better!
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

This site has several options that are also tastey. We did the carrot one and it was a hit. Some even take into account common allergies or ingredients parents try to limit in order to give you several options for what your own child may prefer. The recipes are easy enough to modify, too.

Wholesome Baby Food - Momtastic

Carrot cake You can use applesauce to sweeten and cut way down on the sugar. We did a carrot cake for ds first birthday. You can also sub flax/water for the eggs if you haven't introduced egg yet... and carrot cake is very forgiving so using whole wheat flour instead of white is an easy switch
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet